Setting vertexdata and indicesdata from array

Christian Hansen

Jan 18, 2013, 4:14:03 AM1/18/13
to isg...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've just test the sample apps of isgl3d and it all looks really nice and easy, and I really want to give this engine a go.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how do I import my own models? The POD format is not a solution because I want the user to be able to load their own models at runtime.

Therefore I want to read/parse models (f.x. in .dae, .obj, .stl formats) using Assimp importer and then create an Isgl3DGLMesh by loading it with vertex and index data from the arrays the Assimp importer has created.

Would this be the way to load models dynamically?

Thanks!

Christian

Schreda

Feb 21, 2013, 4:42:58 PM2/21/13
to isg...@googlegroups.com
Hey Christian,

well its not such a nice solution and I even dont know what your application should do exactly but you cn try the following...

Create classes of standard elements which can be added by the user... so the user is able to create their own models out of basic shapes you define... so they can create stuff and you can load them dynamical...

Sorry Im not so deep into POD right now... I just start studding the opengles 2.0 and can only give you right now that advice thats why I also use right now that engine for 3d stuff... its really great I love it a lot even if its not continued right now... once I get more into opengles 2.0 I will try to bring out some extensions...

The other possibility would be to write your own file format but Im not so deep into this...
Hope it helped you a little

regards
Georg

Christian Hansen

Feb 21, 2013, 5:16:16 PM2/21/13
to isg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Schreda/Georg,

Thank you for your answer. What I have is an array with indexed vertices, an array with lines (indexes pointing to the vertices), and an array with faces (indexes pointing to the vertices). I want to render this geometry (the lines and the faces).

I'm getting the information after parsing some model files. So far I've done my own rendering in OpenGL ES2 (the app is Polygon), but I want to move to proper object oriented 3D engine, like iSGL3D, but I don't see how i can render simple lines and faces. It's probably right in front of my face, but I don't see line and face objects in the iSGL3D API.

There is a Isgl3dGLParticle but I don't see e.g.:

Isgl3dGLLine
Isgl3dGLFace

So how do I render lines and surfaces in iSGL3D?

Thanks.

-Christian