Educational Designer 11 - Special Issue on Lesson Study

1 view

ISDDE Public Announcements

May 16, 2018, 5:30:58 AM5/16/18
to ISDDE Public Announcements
Dear all,

The latest issue of the ISDDE's free online journal,  Educational Designer, is now  available at www.educationaldesigner.org.

This is a special issue on Lesson Study compiled by Max Stephens - to quote the introduction from Editor-in-Cheif Kaye Stacey:

This special issue of Educational Designer focusses on Lesson Study, also named as Japanese Lesson Study by those who point to its roots. The contributions connect Lesson Study and its design processes in a broad international context. In his introduction, Max Stephens explains some key features of Lesson Study in Mathematics and why it has been chosen for this special issue. His second contribution examines its potential to improve instructional design and the quality of teaching and learning. Three papers report on adapting Lesson Study to schools outside of Japan: Marlon Ebaeguin examines the cultural foundations and pedagogical assumptions relevant to adapting Lesson Study for Philippine schools; Tad Watanabe writes from first-hand experience of Lesson Study in Japan and in the United States, and da Ponte, Quaresma, Mata-Pereira, and Baptista discuss the successes and challenges of Lesson Study with first-time teachers in Portugal. Interestingly, from Japan, Nishimura, Kobayashi and Ohta describe how Lesson Study, which has been a strong feature of elementary and middle schools in Japan, can be enacted in the senior high school.

I thank Max Stephens for organising this highly international issue, Sheila Evans for checking and editing, and Daniel Pead, our webmaster. The editorial team hopes that you find the articles in this issue valuable for your work.

Kaye Stacey
Editor in Chief

Educational Designer is always on the look at for new articles that meet our criteria - if you are interested in submitting an article please look at the guidance for contributors at www.educationaldesigner.org/ed/contribute.htm and/or talk to one of the editorial team (www.educationaldesigner.org/ed/contact.htmpreferably before you start writing.

Yours,
Daniel Pead
Design Editor/Webmaster