ATT UVERSE down, why?

Lance Lassetter

Jan 22, 2013, 9:22:30 AM1/22/13
to iscds...@googlegroups.com

I don't know if this is security related but that I thought I'd ask all the same.

ATT UVERSE service was down last night until this morning.  They had some kind of massive network outtage.  If you called in to tech support they just had a recording saying some of their customers would be affected by a uverse outtage and a tech could call you back but with no detailed information.

Valdis.K...@vt.edu

Jan 22, 2013, 12:01:50 PM1/22/13
to iscds...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 08:22:30 -0600, Lance Lassetter said:

> I don't know if this is security related but that I thought I'd ask all the
> same.
>
> ATT UVERSE service was down last night until this morning.

The two usual causes of this are either signal fade on a fiberoptic
cable due to a backhoe, or an extremely creative typo by some
NOC banana-eater messing up a core router config or similar.

Ed Williams

Jan 22, 2013, 5:23:43 PM1/22/13
to iscds...@googlegroups.com
It is still down over much of their service area. Best info I can get
says it is a DHCP error that they are working with Cisco to get
resolved.

Tom Byrnes

Jan 26, 2013, 11:58:51 PM1/26/13
to iscds...@googlegroups.com

There's a third: The underengineering of AT&Ts IP network, and the gross incompetence of their network operations staff.

I have Uverse, but I kept Cox for my Internet. I use the UVerse Internet to test what things look like from a low quality consumer connection.

Becky Levenhagen

Jan 28, 2013, 10:20:08 AM1/28/13
to iscds...@googlegroups.com

Could be uverse has no idea what bgr's to trust which makes healthy networking possible.

Need IPv6 Training? See http://www.ipv6securitytraining.com . IPv6 Security Training

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SANS Internet Storm Center / DShield" group.