Re: Getting a cloud_label field from ISCCP-Basic HGG

Ken Knapp - NOAA Federal

Aug 22, 2019, 2:37:46 PM8/22/19
to Tsai, Wei-Ming, ISCCP-QA, ncdc.is...@noaa.gov
Hi
Thanks for asking your questions.

Regarding your idea of cloud_type(time,lat,lon) ... that really isn't provided. You see, for each grid cell, there are between 30 and 250 pixels(this is a general range... it can vary)  (because HGG is gridded data from the original satellite pixels). So each pixel has its own type. The fraction of each type in a grid cell is provided in cldamt_types. A variable like you suggest would possibly ignore the remaining types that are also in the grid.

The cldamt_types variable has missing data ... so those values are flagged with large integers ... please see the netCDF attributes.

Hope this helps-
-Ken

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Tsai, Wei-Ming <wei-mi...@rsmas.miami.edu> wrote:
Dear ISCCP team,

I download ISCCP-Basic HGG data and would like to see a global cloud_label field (showing values from 1-18 for different cloud types), like cloud_type(time,lat,lon), but I didn’t find any listed variable for that. There are some types and labels, but in the string form. Could you please tell me how to get this field?

Also, I see a variable “ cldamt_types (time, cloud_type, lat, lon) float32 …”. It seems to be a cloud amount field categorized by cloud types, but I have some weird value up to 3000. The cloud amount is supposed to be percentage, right?

The downloaded data is "ISCCP-Basic.HGG.v01r00.GLOBAL.2017.06.28.1200.GPC.10KM.CS00.EA1.00.nc”. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Wei-Ming

--
Ken Knapp, Ph.D.

Meteorologist, Center for Weather and Climate

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information

151 Patton Ave

Asheville, NC 28801
828-271-4339 (voice) 828-271-4328 (fax)

"Leave this world a little better than you found it."
                             ---Baden-Powell's Last Message (1945)

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official views or policies of NOAA, Department of Commerce, or the US Government.