debootstrap bullseye arm64 on trixie host fails

Uladzimir Bely

Jul 24, 2024, 2:23:23 AM (4 days ago) Jul 24
to isar-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.

Some time ago I faced with the issue when debootstrapping arm64
bullseye system when host qemu version >=8.1. Other architectures and
target distros (both <= buster and >=bookworm) are not affected, only
bullseye-arm64 combination.

This makes me use qemu-8.0.5 on host despite 8.2.3 is considered stable
in Gentoo.

I also checked that the issue is reproduced (in Virtualbox machine) on
Debian Trixie, that uses qemu-8.2.4.

The issue https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/2377 was opened
but with no response for now.

Does someone else use host trixie and could confirm this? I'm afraid
that the issue will pop up when trixie becomes stable.

By the way, we have "Migrate to mmdebstrap" patchset on the list and
mmdebstrap is not affected.

--
Best regards,
Uladzimir.

MOESSBAUER, Felix

Jul 24, 2024, 3:00:53 AM (4 days ago) Jul 24
to ub...@ilbers.de, isar-...@googlegroups.com
Then this would be another reason to switch over to mmdebstrap.

I also hope, that we can configure mmdebstrap to use package caches and
apt retries and rate limits. With the recent hickups of the
snapshots.d.o, we really need a solution that is robust. Otherwise we
cannot build against snapshots in CI.

Anyways, I wouldn't spend too much effort into repairing debootstrap,
while most people seem to use mmdebstrap these days anyways.

Felix

--
Siemens AG, Technology
Linux Expert Center