Memories

Betty Hulson

Jan 26, 2024, 8:07:02 PMJan 26
to irvin-alumni
Our son is interested in what it was like for us during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I have some memories, but not as many as I would like. I do remember being sent home from school and listening to President Kennedy on tv, but that's about it. Do any of you have any memories you would be willing to share? Thanks! Betty

Beckey Cochran

Jan 27, 2024, 9:34:01 AMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
I remember having us prepare a box of food nonperishable & water that was stored on a closet we could go in if missile was fired. Also, remember getting under our desks in a drill.

Do not remember much else except designated areas like schools as bomb shelters that had designation sign visible on outside of building

Beckey
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 26, 2024, at 8:07 PM, 'Betty Hulson' via Irvin Alumni <irvin-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Our son is interested in what it was like for us during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I have some memories, but not as many as I would like. I do remember being sent home from school and listening to President Kennedy on tv, but that's about it. Do any of you have any memories you would be willing to share? Thanks! Betty

Betty Hulson

Jan 27, 2024, 11:48:30 AMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Becky! Our son watched a program about it and it made it sound like there was nationwide panic and that stores were emptied within hours. I don't recall that happening, but I do remember Mom and Dad talking about stockpiling some canned goods. I also remember the drills, but had forgotten about certain schools being designated as shelters. Maybe it was worse in other parts of the country. I do recall being fairly afraid that El Paso would be a target due to the proximity of the military bases. Thanks again for sharing! Betty

Beckey Cochran

Jan 27, 2024, 12:46:58 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
I agree Betty. I do not remember panic but maybe it was where we lived. Sounds like an interesting show.

Beckey
Sent from my iPad

cesar salas

Jan 27, 2024, 4:40:10 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
I recall that time. Living in Austin at the time 15 miles from then what was Bergstrom AFB (B52 base). My father was attached to the Nike missile radar installation in the area. It was a nervous time and we had almost daily drills at random times during the school day. The duck and cover drill was a real thing.
César

Jan 27, 2024, 4:45:57 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
I remember drills in the hallway on our knees. Not much more. I asked my husband who was living in rural Pennsylvania what he remembered. He had a short wave radio and picked up some overseas broadcasts that indicated the world was on edge. He had no idea of being in real danger. It was definitely different for an Army installation.

Just a different perspective.

Dottye Pierce

Beckey Cochran

Jan 27, 2024, 4:49:32 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Thanks for sharing Dottye.

Beckey
Sent from my iPhone

Beckey Cochran

Jan 27, 2024, 4:51:13 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
Right on that. My dad was assigned to the radar park at Ft Bliss. My mom was working at White Sands as a civilian employee.

Beckey
Sent from my iPhone

C B

Jan 27, 2024, 4:53:15 PMJan 27
to Irvin Irvin
I don't remember much at all.  I do remember the drills you all have mentioned but not in relation to any particular incident.  In fact, I had Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missle crisis confused.  I wasn't even sure they weren't the same incident until I looked them up.  I do remember talking to some friends in the neighborhood and we were all wondering if war was eminent.  We were concerned but not overly frightened.  Wish I remembered more.
Margaret

Betty Hulson

Jan 27, 2024, 9:31:59 PMJan 27
to irvin-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing...I hadn't thought about the Bay of Pigs. I may have those two things mixed up as well. Betty