Fwd: Re: OAI-PMH interface Scholarship At Lesley

Paul Hoffman

May 7, 2012, 3:14:46 PM5/7/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
I'm assuming it's not possible to get IR+ to automatically put an item's
HTTP URL into a dc.identifier element in the OAI-PMH metadata it
generates -- is that correct?

Paul.

----- Forwarded message from Friedrich Summann <friedric...@uni-bielefeld.de> -----

Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 14:55:55 -0400
From: Friedrich Summann <friedric...@uni-bielefeld.de>
To: Support <sup...@flo.org>
CC: Marilyn Geller <mge...@lesley.edu>
Subject: Re: OAI-PMH interface Scholarship At Lesley

Hi Paul,

[...]

Ok, we have harvested the Univ. of Rochester since longer
and they deliver url handles (I guess they had DSpace before
and migrated it with the handles to the new system) in
dc:identifier.

Anyway, operable urls in the DC metadata are really
necessary. We will think about your workaround
(deriving the url from the identifier tag in the metadata
header section).though I think the IR+ repository
software should provide that (as all common IR systems do).

Best regards,

--

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Systems Librarian

Nate Sarr

May 7, 2012, 3:26:55 PM5/7/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

   That is correct.  Right now it uses the handle value if you use the handle system.  I'm going to look into adding this as an option.  I think it should be there if you are not using the handle system.

-Nate

--
Friedrich Summann
Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
Universitätsbibliothek Bielefeld

Bielefeld University Library, Germany
Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Systems Librarian
Fenway Libraries Online
c/o Wentworth Institute of Technology
550 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 445-2914
(617) 442-2384 (FLO main number)

Paul Hoffman

May 7, 2012, 4:54:42 PM5/7/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that sounds like a valuable feature to have in a future version.

Paul.

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 03:26:55PM -0400, Nate Sarr wrote:
> [...]
> > harvesting routine to do this. For example, the following OAI URL:
> >
> > oai:ir.flo.org:112<http://ir.flo.org:112>
> >> Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> >> Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> >> Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
> >>

> --
> Friedrich Summann
> Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org>>
> Systems Librarian
> Fenway Libraries Online
> c/o Wentworth Institute of Technology
> 550 Huntington Ave.
> Boston, MA 02115
> (617) 445-2914<tel:%28617%29%20445-2914>
> (617) 442-2384<tel:%28617%29%20442-2384> (FLO main number)

Paul Hoffman

May 8, 2012, 11:12:51 AM5/8/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

Just so you know, I've opened an issue for this on the Google project page.

Also, in an attempt to figure out what it would take to implement
handles for our repositories, I created a mock Handle naming authority
in a sandbox repository -- name 999999, base URL http://hdl.flo.org/ --
and set it as the default naming authority for the repository. I
expected to see URLs show up in the harvestable metadata as well as the
item display itself, but that didn't happen. Am I missing something?
Is IR+ actually contacting (or attempting to contact) the handle proxy
behind the scenes? Do I need to restart IR+?

Thanks again,

> [...]

> > harvesting routine to do this. For example, the following OAI URL:
> >
> > oai:ir.flo.org:112<http://ir.flo.org:112>
> >> Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> >> Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> >> Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
> >>

> --
> Friedrich Summann
> Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org>>
> Systems Librarian
> Fenway Libraries Online
> c/o Wentworth Institute of Technology
> 550 Huntington Ave.
> Boston, MA 02115
> (617) 445-2914<tel:%28617%29%20445-2914>
> (617) 442-2384<tel:%28617%29%20442-2384> (FLO main number)

Nate Sarr

May 8, 2012, 12:16:37 PM5/8/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

    Sounds good.  I already fixed it in the source.  I'm working on IR+ 3.0 right now so it will be a while before it comes out. If you need it sooner, I could send you a replacement file that you could try out to see if it meets your needs.  The handle system takes some work to get going - I may need to write a script to update all of the content you currently have with handle inforamtion.  For more information on how to set up the handle server you can look at page 47 of the IR Plus installation manual.

   Let me know.

-Nate

> > Vielen Dank für Ihr Interesse an unserem Repository.  Leider muß ich

> > sagen, die Software auf dem das Repository basiert ist -- IR+ von der
> > University of Rochester -- ist nicht fähig, HTTP URLs automatisch in den
> > OAI-PMH Metadaten einschließen.  [I'm sorry, but that's about as much
> >> Universitätsbibliothek Bielefeld

> >> Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> >> Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
> >>

> --
> Friedrich Summann
> Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> Universitätsbibliothek Bielefeld

Paul Hoffman

May 8, 2012, 3:13:04 PM5/8/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

Thanks for the pointer to the docs in the installation guide, and for
fixing the code for IR+ 3.0.

I was hoping that in the meantime we could just create a handle naming
authority in IR+ with base URL http://foo.flo.org/ (or whatever) and
name 999999 (or whatever) and that would cause the OAI-PMH metadata to
include dc:identifiers like http://foo.flo.org/999999/123 and so on.
Requests for these URLs would go to a different HTTP server here,
totally separate from IR+, which would redirect to the appropriate item
in IR+. For example, http://foo.flo.org/999999/123 might redirect to
http://ir.flo.org/sandbox/institutionalPublicationPublicView.action?institutionalItemId=123.

Most importantly, IR+ wouldn't have anything to do with the redirection.
As far as IR+ is concerned, it would be handing out URLs to an HTTP
proxy server within the Handle system -- like http://hdl.handle.net/ --
it wouldn't know or care that, in reality, it's just a plain old HTTP
server with some redirect logic.

But I gather it doesn't work that way -- does it? How would someone at
an institution that already has a handle server set things up in IR+?

Thanks again,

Paul.

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 12:16:37PM -0400, Nate Sarr wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > oai:ir.flo.org:112<http://ir.flo.org:112/><http://ir.flo.org:112<http://ir.flo.org:112/>>
> > >>

> > --
> > Friedrich Summann
> > Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> > Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> > Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> > Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
> >

> > ----- End forwarded message -----
> >
> > --
> > Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org><mailto:pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org>>>
> > Systems Librarian
> > Fenway Libraries Online
> > c/o Wentworth Institute of Technology
> > 550 Huntington Ave.
> > Boston, MA 02115
> > (617) 445-2914<tel:%28617%29%20445-2914><tel:%28617%29%20445-2914>
> > (617) 442-2384<tel:%28617%29%20442-2384><tel:%28617%29%20442-2384> (FLO main number)

Nate Sarr

May 8, 2012, 8:02:13 PM5/8/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

   That is sort of what happens with the handle system.  The  handle system actually contacts the running IR+ software when a request for a given handle URL is received and then IR+ tells the handle server where to redirect the request.  This allows IR+ to change the URL at any point and time and the handle system will be able to redirect to the correct URL.

    You could create something like handles in your system with a redirect server however you would need to create a mapping between the handle URL and items on the redirect server.  The other thing is Handles are meant to be persistent - so users expect them never to change.  If you sign up for a handle later on this means your persistent identifier will change and if users have used this identifier to cite an item in your system it breaks the reason why handles are used.

  If another institution switched over to IR+ they could migrate the handle information - just like we did or they would need to add a way to get the next handle value and store it in the handle table in IR+ so that IR+ knows what handle value to show in the metadata.

Hope this helps.

-Nate

> > > Vielen Dank für Ihr Interesse an unserem Repository.  Leider muß ich

> > > sagen, die Software auf dem das Repository basiert ist -- IR+ von der
> > > University of Rochester -- ist nicht fähig, HTTP URLs automatisch in den
> > > OAI-PMH Metadaten einschließen.  [I'm sorry, but that's about as much

> > --
> > Friedrich Summann
> > Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> > Universitätsbibliothek Bielefeld

Paul Hoffman

May 9, 2012, 10:09:00 AM5/9/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Nate, that all makes perfect sense. Would you mind sending me
the replacement file you offered earlier? Thanks!

Paul.

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 08:02:13PM -0400, Nate Sarr wrote:
> [...]
> > > >>

> > > --
> > > Friedrich Summann
> > > Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> > > Universit�tsbibliothek Bielefeld
> > > Bielefeld University Library, Germany
> > > Tel./ fon 0049 521 106 2631
> > >

> > > ----- End forwarded message -----
> > >
> > > --
> > > Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org><mailto:pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org>><mailto:pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org><mailto:pa...@flo.org<mailto:pa...@flo.org>>>>
> > > Systems Librarian
> > > Fenway Libraries Online
> > > c/o Wentworth Institute of Technology
> > > 550 Huntington Ave.
> > > Boston, MA 02115
> > > (617) 445-2914<tel:%28617%29%20445-2914><tel:%28617%29%20445-2914><tel:%28617%29%20445-2914>
> > > (617) 442-2384<tel:%28617%29%20442-2384><tel:%28617%29%20442-2384><tel:%28617%29%20442-2384> (FLO main number)

Nate Sarr

May 9, 2012, 10:53:48 AM5/9/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

    Sure thing. There are actually 2 files - here they are - these are the modified versions of IR+ 2.1 source code.

I would recommend

- Make backup copies of the old files
- Test these on a test server first and let me know how it goes.

After you back the originals up you will need to overwrite the following two files where your unzipped source is located:

{ir_plus_src_root}\spring-config-common\common\ir_service.xml
{ir_plus_src_root}\ir_service\src\edu\ur\ir\oai\metadata\provider\service\DefaultDublinCoreOraiMetadataProvider.java

Then rebuild and redeploy to your test web server.

- Log in as an administrator, go to a publication and at the bottom click on the link "Get OAI Record - Metadata Prefix:oai_dc"
- Make sure the identifier field is filled in with the URL for the item on your local machine.
- Copy and paste the URL into your browser and make sure the record is the one you were orginally viewing the metadata for.

If everything looks good you should be all set to move it into production.

Hope this helps - let me know if you run into any trouble.

-Nate

> > > --
> > > Friedrich Summann
> > > Leiter EDV-Abt. / Head IT Dept.
> > > Universitätsbibliothek Bielefeld
DefaultDublinCoreOaiMetadataProvider.java
ir-service.xml