Fwd: RE: [Ir-pilot] Call for agenda items

Paul Hoffman

Oct 14, 2011, 4:44:21 PM10/14/11
to irp...@googlegroups.com, Kelly Drake
Nate et al.,

I'm having a hard time coming up with an answer to this question. It
seems plausible to me that the purpose of the system of primary content
type (P) and secondary content types (S1, S2, etc.) in IR+ is to record
either of these two statements:

(1) The contents of this item are (as a whole) of type P, and they are
also (as a whole) of type S1, S2, etc.

(2) Although the contents of this item are as a whole of type P, some
parts of them are of type S1, other parts are of type S2, etc.

It sounds like the person asking the question doesn't think it should
cover (2) as well, which I can sympathize with in my librarian heart of
hearts, but which OTOH I want to reject on practical grounds -- to my
mind, IR+ is positioned to cut through any kind of dogma and just let
people do stuff. :-)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Paul.

----- Forwarded message from "kathy.k...@mcphs.edu" <kathy.k...@mcphs.edu> -----

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:31:15 -0400
From: "kathy.k...@mcphs.edu" <kathy.k...@mcphs.edu>
To: Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Subject: RE: [Ir-pilot] Call for agenda items

Paul,

Could we look at getting a "contains" field for the publication process?
It's the field that would have things like bibliography, maps,
illustrations, charts, stuff like that. It's not exactly the same as
"secondary contents". Perhaps it is already there in another form and
I'm just not seeing it.

Kathy

Kathy Krathwohl
Cataloger
Library and Learning Resources
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy
and Health Sciences

179 Longwood Ave | Boston MA 02115
T 617.732.2806
kathy.k...@mcphs.edu

http://www.mcphs.edu

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, and any attachment to it, is intended to be confidential and might be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, disseminating or distributing this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system. Thank you.
Oct 15, 2011, 10:05:05 AM10/15/11
to irp...@googlegroups.com, Kelly Drake
Hi Paul,

   I think #1 is what we were expecting for most of the material in IR+ but #2 is not prevented.  I would say that you are right on that IR+ lets you do what ever you think is best as in many situations there are gray areas.  One thing to note is when filtering by content type on the browse page, it will pull all content types that are associated with the item including when it is a secondary content type.

   Hope this helps.

-Nate