Any plans to support the features of JavaScript 1.7, 1.8 ?

achern...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2011, 7:58:35 PM4/20/11
to IronJS
Hi Fredrik,

I'm trying to get rid of the dependency on jsref (SpiderMonkey) in one
of ours .net projects and your project is really promising to replace
it. Right now ironjs does not parse all of our scripts (ecma5
specific), but that is OK as soon as you have a plan to support it.
But the features of JavaScript 1.7 and 1.8 are not part of any ecma
standards as far as I understand. So the question is do you have any
plans to support those features or part of it (like "let", generators,
iterators, etc) or you are going to be as close to the standard as
possible?

Best regards,
Alexei

BTW, the project is great!

Fredrik Holmström

Apr 21, 2011, 2:50:15 AM4/21/11
to iro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexei!

Our current roadmap is this (in chronological order):

  • NET Integration
  • ECMAScript5 support
  • Performance
We have discussed the posibility of adding non-standard constructs (#-functions, let-keyword, generators, etc.) and are open to doing so, but through an optional extension that has to be enabled per feature. The way this would work is the same as strict mode does in ECMA5, say that you want to enable the generators feature and use ecma5 strict mode you would do this:

    // foo.js
    "use generators";
    "use strict";

    // your code here ...

This forces the use of non-standard constructs to be a concious decision from the developer. This is not implemented yet, but it's the current plan. What hasn't been decided is which extensions to integrate, and this is something we'll ask the community and see what's required and wanted.

Regards,
Fredrik Holmström