Could you post the original ANTLR parser/lexer files?

Steve_H

Feb 27, 2010, 10:45:52 AM2/27/10
to IronJS
Hi Fredrik,

This is an awesome job you've done in such a short amount of time. I
think you will get a very large following for this project. A lot of
developers were hoping that Microsoft was eventually going to release
their internal Javascript .Net dynamic language project from
SilverLight into the same realm as IronPython and IronRuby...but no
such luck.

For me personally, this project marks the 1st non-toy language in
early development for the DLR which I think I could get my head
wrapped around as it progresses. I've worked for years with
Javascript as an end-user through a charting application called
eSignal (it uses SpiderMonkey). One thing I realized very early on
with these types of new JavaScript efforts (e.g., Jint) is that the
syntax error messages need to be user-oriented rather than developer-
oriented; otherwise, one can spend 20 mins trying to figure out
something which should normally take less than 30 secs if a good error
message had been emitted. So, who knows, maybe I can contribute
early on in this area since it is something kinda boring for someone
like you to fool with when you have more important/critical things to
do.

Hey, I wonder if you could do me a small favor. Could you please
upload to github the ANTLR files which produced the C# files? That
would be a big help for me in reading the code from start to
finish.

Thanks, and keep up the great work! It's nice to see you using .Net
4.0 elements in your C# code.

Steve

Fredrik Holmström

Feb 27, 2010, 1:01:29 PM2/27/10
to iro...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Thanks for your kind words :) Yes, there has been a lot of progress in a short amount of time,
however it has stalled the last few weeks due to other obligations that have come up taking
pretty much 100% of my spare time, they should all be dealt with soon enough and I can go
back to work on IronJS though :)

Yes, I agree. Error reporting is incredibly important. On a related note I've been working on
getting visual studio debugging working with IronJS - so you can set breakpoints and inspect
variables as you would with C#.

About contributing help - it's most appreciated that you offer to help, I've got a few other persons
that would like to help in specific areas also. I am however quite the beginner when it comes to managing
open-source projects with more then one person (me) on them. I will have to try to find a way to organize it all.
For now I think it's enough if you just fork the github project and poke around. I do wan't to warn your though
that when the new compiler/runtime gets fully functional pretty much everything in the master branch will become
outdated and unusable (in terms of API, class hierarchy, etc.)

I will add the ANTLR3 files to github as soon as I get a chance.

About C# 4.0 I will probably be dropping usage of those features so that IronJS can run
on Mono 2.6 also.
--
Vänligen,
Fredrik Holmström

Tel: 0703 - 89 86 12

Steve_H

Mar 3, 2010, 9:33:22 AM3/3/10
to IronJS

Fredrik,

Seems that it's best to wait for your next ironjs release to github as
you're reworking a lot of parts.

First part I'll try to work on is expanding the unit tests.

Fredrik Holmström

Mar 3, 2010, 9:35:35 AM3/3/10
to iro...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Yes, that is probably best - basically the code base is incredibly volatile right now. It changes a lot every day and most of the changes are backwards incompatible in ever possible way.

I'll try send a message over when I have somewhat a reasonable ground to stand on :)

/ Fredrik