Plugability enhancements?

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 15, 2015, 12:37:48 PM12/15/15
to IronJacamar Developers
Hi,

I was wondering, for IJ2 are there pluggable areas that it might be possible to allow IJ to load the implementation from a module or similar?

I am thinking for classes like the following which might be beneficial to have separate release cycles from IJ core:

These areas might be different to what existed in IJ1.x so I wondered if there were a list of extension points and their APIs.

Thanks,
Tom

Jesper Pedersen

Dec 16, 2015, 4:35:30 AM12/16/15
to IronJacamar Developers
One of the goals of IronJacamar 2 is to remove all our system property settings, as it makes it more difficult to debug environments.

We will introduce service extensions for areas where it makes sense - <pool type="xyz"> will be such a place, but completely different from what is in 1.x.

It goes without saying that all service extensions won't be supported by the IronJacamar community, but is left to the service extension vendor.

People are most welcome to suggest service extension points before we hit the 2.0.0.CR1 release.

HTH

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 16, 2015, 4:57:19 AM12/16/15
to Jesper Pedersen, IronJacamar Developers
It does help thanks. While architecting the core are you recording places where extensions appear to be appropriate? You mention a pool extension point, is that listed with other IJ2 extension points somewhere?

How are you considering loading these extension points? Will it be compatible with JBoss Modules/classloader? How will extension points be configured in the core - will it be by classname?

Jesper Pedersen

Dec 16, 2015, 7:59:07 AM12/16/15
to IronJacamar Developers, jesper....@comcast.net
On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 4:57:19 AM UTC-5, Tom Jenkinson wrote:
It does help thanks. While architecting the core are you recording places where extensions appear to be appropriate? You mention a pool extension point, is that listed with other IJ2 extension points somewhere?

I'm about to work on the 2nd pool configuration, so the service extension will be considered as part of that work.

How are you considering loading these extension points? Will it be compatible with JBoss Modules/classloader? How will extension points be configured in the core - will it be by classname?

I don't think we will go beyond what the JDK gives us, e.g. java.util.ServiceLoader, using the container's classloader.

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 16, 2015, 8:01:20 AM12/16/15
to Jesper Pedersen, IronJacamar Developers
Yes, that makes sense actually. The integration piece (i.e. wildfly subsystem) on the other hand would likely be aware of "JBoss Modules" and prepare the container classloader appropriately.