Travis CI

Stefano Maestri

Aug 18, 2016, 10:11:54 AM8/18/16
to IronJacamar Developers
Hi all,

I've just integrated Travis CI in our github at PR level (https://github.com/ironjacamar/ironjacamar/commit/f0bc7e73be637ebfb3d8e3c62af99e8a890674f9).
This integration provides for each PR (from Travis Manual):

When a pull request is opened, Travis CI receives a pull request notification from GitHub. We turn this notification into a build and run it.

During the build, we update the status of the commits to one of:

  • a warning that the build is still running.
  • that the pull request should be merged with caution because the build failed.
  • that the pull request can be merged safely because the build was successful.

Travis CI builds a pull request when it is first opened, and when commits are added to the pull request .

I think it's a nice feature giving us more confidence on any merge. As written in related issue (https://github.com/ironjacamar/ironjacamar/issues/544every pull request will be automatically tested by Travis, while existing Jenkins jobs still run daily against current master and main branches on cloudbees. It could be done also using jenkins, but Travis integration is smooth and nice, especially w/ our gradle build.

For any further details about github/Travis integration have a look to their nice docs: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/getting-started/

I've also updated our Developer guide to include infos about Travis and adding CLA signing before contribution (https://github.com/ironjacamar/ironjacamar/commit/2b5c8da4009d43b28ff04f52bdf33005006f4bc9)

Any comment/thought is more than welcome

regards
S.

Stefano Maestri

Aug 25, 2016, 8:25:10 AM8/25/16
to IronJacamar Developers
Hi,

I've just opened https://github.com/ironjacamar/ironjacamar/issues/565 because I noticed we need to configure a bit more Travis to build older branches.

It's currently assigned to me, but feel free to take over :)

regards
S.