Inquiry regarding DB version upgrade on irods

kovid bhardwaj

Apr 24, 2024, 2:51:47 AMApr 24
to iRODS-Chat
Hi ,

We are currently in the process of upgrading our database- postgresql 9.2.24 to the latest version 14.2 due to the fact that the current version is no longer supported and has reached its End of Life (EoL). As part of this upgrade, we would like to inquire about any potential impact on our application and whether any configuration changes would be required.

Could you kindly provide insight into the following:

1. Application Impact: Are there any known impacts on our application if we upgrade the database to the latest version? Specifically, are there any compatibility issues or potential disruptions that we should be aware of?

2. Configuration Changes: Do we need to make any specific configuration changes within our application to ensure compatibility with the latest version of the database? If so, could you provide details on the changes that would be necessary?

Waiting to hear from you .
Thanks
Kovid

Kory Draughn

Apr 24, 2024, 9:02:19 AMApr 24
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kovid,

The biggest challenge for upgrading the database is normally making sure your OS has the proper drivers and is compatible with the installed version of unixODBC.

iRODS 4.2 has always been tested against PostgreSQL 10 and I'm sure others have run it against later versions. iRODS 4.3 is tested against PostgreSQL 14. You shouldn't have any issues with those versions.
PostgreSQL 15 made some changes which need some investigation. I recommend sticking with v14 for now. See https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/7382.

Other than that, make sure to have a backup of your database, follow normal database upgrade guidelines, and verify the changes in a test environment before moving into production.

Hope that helps.

Kory Draughn
Chief Technologist
iRODS Consortium

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

kovid bhardwaj

Apr 29, 2024, 5:07:42 AMApr 29
to iRODS-Chat
Hi Kory,

We are currently using iRODS version 4.2.8. Does this version support PostgreSQL v14? If not, what is the most recent version of PostgreSQL that is compatible with iRODS 4.2.8?

Terrell Russell

Apr 29, 2024, 8:43:18 AMApr 29
to irod...@googlegroups.com
The limitation we saw with older iRODS - was not iRODS itself, but rather, the unixODBC version on the operating system that is running the iRODS catalog provider.

I expect PostgreSQL 14 works fine with 4.2.8, with an updated unixODBC - but this is not 'supported' as it was not tested at that time (in fact, PG14 was released more than a year later).

Terrell

kovid bhardwaj

May 10, 2024, 10:55:32 AMMay 10
to iRODS-Chat
Hi Russell,

This is our current configuration:
unixODBC-2.3.1-14
irods 4.2.8 (prod) ; irods 4.2.11 (Dev)
postgresql-9.6
1. is postgresql v12 supported or tested with irods v4.2.8 or 4.2.11 ?
2. Since postgresql-9.6 has crossed the end of life and v12 is recommended by our DB team, do we need to update DB drivers or unixODBC version if we move to v12 . Does this require any configuration changes in irods ?

Thanks
Kovid

Terrell Russell

May 10, 2024, 1:36:12 PMMay 10
to irod...@googlegroups.com
We only tested with versions that were shipped on the supported OSs at the time of shipping.

If unixODBC is configured correctly, then iRODS will be happy without iRODS configuration changes.

Terrell

kovid bhardwaj

May 13, 2024, 8:06:24 AMMay 13
to iRODS-Chat
Hi Russell,

Our irods OS version is RHEL 7.9
do we need to modify any configuration file of unixODBC,  if we upgrade to v12 of postgres . ?

Alan King

May 13, 2024, 12:01:14 PMMay 13
to irod...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we have had to make many (if any) changes for our unixODBC configurations for testing the iRODS server over many versions of Postgres, but that depends on what configurations you need in your deployment.

You should try an upgrade in a testing environment with a configuration similar to what you are using in production and see if anything falls over.

--
Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium