Cyberduck and iRODS links

J.P. Nimoth

Feb 19, 2024, 8:32:51 AMFeb 19
to iRODS-Chat
Heyho,
we saw today that iRODS links do not seem to work when using Cyberduck as client.

Instead of pointing to the link location, an empty collection is shown in Cyberduck.

So for example this link:
Cyberduck_link2.png

When opened in Cyberduck vs. iCommands:
Cyberduck_link1.png

We were wondering if this is a (know) Cyberduck/iRODS issue and if there is a way to make these links also work in Cyberduck?

Thanks and all the best from Groningen,
Jelte

J.P. Nimoth

Feb 20, 2024, 10:53:53 AMFeb 20
to iRODS-Chat
A short addition:
I saw today that I can access the linked location when I configure Cyberduck to access our iRODS system using WebDAV. See here:

Cyberduck_webdav_irods_link.jpg

So the described issue seems to just happen when using iRODS protocol in Cyberduck.

Additional info if relevant, our cyberduckprofile for the configuration in Cyberduck looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
  ~ Copyright (c) 2002-2017 iterate GmbH. All rights reserved.
  ~ https://cyberduck.io/
  ~
  ~ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  ~ it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
  ~ the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
  ~ (at your option) any later version.
  ~
  ~ This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
  ~ but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  ~ MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
  ~ GNU General Public License for more details.
  -->

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
        <key>Protocol</key>
        <string>irods</string>
        <key>Vendor</key>
        <string>rug</string>
        <key>Description</key>
        <string>RUG Test iRODS</string>
        <key>Hostname Configurable</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Port Configurable</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Default Hostname</key>
        <string>rdms-test-icat.data.rug.nl</string>
        <key>Region</key>
        <string>testrug:rootResc</string>
        <key>Default Port</key>
        <string>1247</string>
        <key>Authorization</key>
        <string>PAM</string>
    </dict>
</plist>

Alan King

Apr 24, 2024, 12:47:14 PMApr 24
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jelte,

Cyberduck's iRODS compatibility is not being maintained by the Consortium, so whoever is keeping up with that would be better suited to answer Cyberduck questions.

I am not very experienced with mounted collections or linkPoints, but I do know that mounted collections can present lies to the user as demonstrated here with a mounted tar file: https://github.com/irods/irods/issues/4457

It is possible that ils is "cheating" and the information is not in the catalog, which is why Cyberduck (and probably other clients) are not able to see it. For this and many other reasons, we recommend avoiding such mounted collections. We can work with you to find another solution if this is providing some necessary function for your use case.

Thanks,

Alan

The Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System (iRODS) - https://irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat
---

Alan King
Senior Software Developer | iRODS Consortium

J.P. Nimoth

Apr 25, 2024, 8:59:19 AMApr 25
to iRODS-Chat
Hi Alan,
thanks for your reply.
In fact, I also addressed the issue already in the Cyberduck Github (issue #15674), but so far there was also no reply.

In our iRODS implementations, users can create links to other iRODS locations, and this is also oftenly used by some of other users. As also a lot of these users, usually those connection from Windows machines, use Cyberduck for data transfer to/from the system, it would be of course good if these links also work properly in Cyberduck.
On the other hand, we saw that if Cyberduck is configured via WebDAV access to our iRODS instance, the links are properly displayed. So this is the current workaround that we have in place for such cases.

Moreover, I would like to emphasize that in the web interface that we provide also for access to the system, these iRODS links work and following them displays the content of the target directory. In the web implementation we also use Jargon for that which is also used by Cyberduck as far as I know.