Release of iBridges - an easy way to connect to data in iRODS

Christine Staiger

Jun 29, 2024, 2:42:32 AM (8 days ago) Jun 29
to iRODS-Chat

Dear all,

In the past years we embarked on the journey to make it easier for scientists and scientific programmers to work with the data stored in iRODS and we came up with the iBridges tool box, which is solely based on python and the python-irodsclient. We have just released version 1.0.0. If you have users who are bit intimidated by the overwhelming functionality of the icommands and the native iRIODS APIs, maybe it is worthwhile to try out iBridges. Below I give a short description when iBridges can help.

We would be very glad to receive feedback and suggestion from you. iBridges is an open source project, and we welcome any kind of contribution. Please feel free to leave issues, feature requests and Pull requests.

And a big thanks to the iRODS team for advising us and helping us when we got lost in the iRODS maze.

Kind regards,

Christine

What iBridges can do for you

A tool to make it easier for scientists and scientific programmers to work with the data stored in iRODS and Yoda systems.

iBridges works on all operating systems: Windows, Mac and Linux and is tested against iRODS servers >= 4.2.10 and 4.3.X

Prerequisites: You will still need Python on your computer and some basic knowledge how to install python packages, e.g. through Anaconda

For Whom?

Scientific programmers and scientists who find the icommands and native APIs to iRODS/Yoda a bit too daunting, cumbersome or simply do not have time to learn them.

The iBridges tool box

iBridges

  • https://github.com/UtrechtUniversity/iBridges
  • A python API for scientific programmers working in python to integrate their data handling into compute workflows
  • A small command line tool for moving data between local computers and iRODS
  • Tutorials guiding through how to work with data in iRODS
  • Some features: Safe data transfers from and to your computer, data synchronisation, tagging data with own search terms, searching for data

iBridges-Gui

Kory Draughn

Jul 1, 2024, 10:29:29 AM (6 days ago) Jul 1
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on reaching 1.0.0!

This is very exciting. Good stuff.

Kory Draughn