Problem removing a directory

Giacomo Mariani

Jan 20, 2014, 8:16:53 AM1/20/14
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm trying to remove the home directory of a user removed from iRODS
(3.2), say ruser.

First of all, with the iRODS administrator (proirod1), I take the directory:
ichmod -Mr own proirod1 /Zone/home/ruser

so that:
$ ils -A /Zone/home/ruser
/Zone/home/ruser:
ACL - proirod1#CINECA01:own
Inheritance - Disabled

but, when I try to remove it:
$ irm -f -r -U /Zone/home/ruser
ERROR: rmUtil: rm error for /Zone/home/ruser, status = -818000 status =
-818000 CAT_NO_ACCESS_PERMISSION

Of course:
$ ienv | grep irodsUserName
NOTICE: irodsUserName=proirod1

Any help would be very appreciated.

Best regards,
Giacomo

--
Giacomo Mariani
SuperComputing Applications and Innovation Department

Wayne Schroeder

Jan 21, 2014, 12:02:01 PM1/21/14
to irod...@googlegroups.com, g.ma...@cineca.it
Hi Giacomo,

Using svn code (pre-3.3.1), I'm seeing a similar problem, altho I'm getting a CANT_RM_NON_EMPTY_HOME_COLL error instead of the error you're seeing with 3.2.  It does work OK on a collection below the 'ruser' home collection, but not on 'ruser' itself.  I can also remove the data-objects individually, and then I can remove the home collection.  So, as a work-around, maybe you can do that.  But we'll look into it further and see if we can fix the problem.  Thanks for reporting it.

 - Wayne -

Giacomo Mariani

Jan 21, 2014, 12:07:47 PM1/21/14
to Wayne Schroeder, irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne,
   thanks for your answer.

Meanwhile, I removed the directory using SQL commands.

All the bet,
  Giacomo

Wayne Schroeder

Jan 21, 2014, 12:59:37 PM1/21/14
to irod...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Schroeder, g.ma...@cineca.it
Looking at it and thinking about it some more, I think the svn behavior is what we expected.  If I remember right, we wanted to avoid the case where users were accidentally removing their home collections, as this was a reported problem.  So a side effect of that, is this case where the admin can't easily remove the whole home collection for a removed user.  Hopefully, most admins can use irm to remove the files and subcollections explicitly and then remove the home collection.

 - Wayne -

Giacomo Mariani

Jan 22, 2014, 4:13:10 AM1/22/14
to irod...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Schroeder
Hi Wayne,
  thanks for clarifying.

Just a small question: where is the information about a "collection being an home collection" stored? Is it possible to remove it?

Cheers,
   Giacomo

"iRODS: the Integrated Rule-Oriented Data-management System; A community driven, open source, data grid software solution" https://www.irods.org

iROD-Chat: http://groups.google.com/group/iROD-Chat

---

Wayne Schroeder

Jan 22, 2014, 11:04:49 AM1/22/14
to irod...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Schroeder, g.ma...@cineca.it
Hi Giacomo,

There's a small iRODS function that is used, isHomeColl, that is just looking at the name pattern.  So you might be able to move the user's home directory a level deeper in the hierarchy and then do the irm -r without an error.

 - Wayne -