Cameras and video

Sergio

Mar 29, 2022, 12:09:55 PM3/29/22
to IRIS ATMS
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a camera in IRIS so I can watch real time video in the IRIS java client (cameras tab).

Looking at the documentation in https://mnit-rtmc.github.io/iris/cameras.html (and also in this group conversation "connecting a Cohu camera") it seems to be straightforward, however i'm being unable to make it work.

In my environment, I checked with VLC and I can watch real time MJPEG stream from camera if I open this URL:

So, for the camera part, I assume everything is OK.

Now for the IRIS part, I've created a "Stream Type" and "Camera":
  • In the "Stream Type" I specify the encoding (MJPEG), scheme (rtsp) and path (/Stream2.sdp)
  • In the  "Camera" properties I select the "Stream Type" and specify the encoder address (10.39.111.197).
However, I see no video in the camera tab. Also I'm using wireshark and I see no packets at all from/to 10.39.111.197. It seems I'm lacking some configuration as IRIS doesn't even try to get the stream from the network.

So the question would be: what I could be missing here? May I have totally misunderstood something regarding cameras and video in IRIS?

I've been pointed I would need to select a "Camera Template", which in turn needs a "Stream Source Template", with parameters for Gstreamer. However, in the "Stream Source Template" I don't know what to put in the "configuration" field (again, documentation doesn't help here, neither the "Configuration field help" button in the UI).

Any idea or working example would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sergio

Andrew Constantine

Mar 29, 2022, 5:41:07 PM3/29/22
to IRIS ATMS
Have you been able to rule out iris by copying that URL into something like VLC player? Open an network stream with that same URL, does it start playing?

Sergio

Mar 30, 2022, 7:37:17 AM3/30/22
to IRIS ATMS
Yes, I opened a network stream in VLC, specified the stream URL and VLC perfectly started playing the camera stream.

So the camera is OK, the network is OK, the problem is I don't know how to properly configure IRIS to show that stream. It's not as easy as it seems in the documentation. That's why I'm asking here! ;-)

Thanks,
Sergio