Irish Go Congress 2019 dates

eoghan...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2018, 6:15:59 AM12/10/18
to Irish Go
Chaps

The dates for next year's Irish Go Congress will be 22nd-24th March. As usual, the Rapid tournament will take place on the Friday night and the Open will be played in five rounds on Saturday and Sunday. We will be returning to our old home of the Teachers' Club on Parnell Square, D1.

I'll update the web page later this week with further details, but in general it will be a more modest affair than recent years.

Dubliners, please let me know if you are willing to put a visiting player up for the weekend. The price of accommodation in Dublin is a major obstacle to attracting players from abroad, and being able to offer a couch or a bed to sleep on is very helpful. In my experience, go players are usually fairly well-behaved guests and strong players will often repay your hospitality with a teaching game or two.

Also, I could use a couple of volunteers to help with setting up, registration, and generally keeping things running smoothly. Again, drop me a line if you are willing to pitch in.

Further updates as events warrant them.

Cheers

Eoghan

John Gibson

Dec 10, 2018, 10:04:12 AM12/10/18
to Irish Go (Mailing List)
Well done Eoghan,
  I shall help out and ghost if needs be
Regards
John

Martin-Hudson & Gibson Ltd
Interior Designers

 Dublin

Phone              Mobile:00353(0)87 2555 420

ian

Dec 11, 2018, 4:39:48 AM12/11/18
to Irish Go
Good news. Perhaps it isn't ideal to downsize, but this should be compensated by Teacher's Club having a nicer bar.

Rory Wales

Dec 11, 2018, 5:05:07 AM12/11/18
to Irish Go
Good work Eoghan!

Cian Synnott

Dec 11, 2018, 5:48:48 AM12/11/18
to Irish Go List
Looking forward to this! I can help out with setup etc., though I'd
like to try to play all rounds. :o)

Cian

Kevin Farrell

Dec 11, 2018, 6:45:21 AM12/11/18
to iris...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eoghan :)

Looking forward to it. Can help with setup etc as well.

Hopefully snow won't stop me making the trip this year!

Cheers,

Kevin

ian

Dec 11, 2018, 8:25:59 AM12/11/18
to Irish Go
If it snows I'm blaming Eoghan

Eoghan Barry

Dec 19, 2018, 3:57:53 PM12/19/18
to iris...@googlegroups.com
The tournament page is now up on the website: http://www.irish-go.org/irish-go-congress-2019/

Please publicise it far and wide. It will be a challenge to get people back after last year's fiasco, but one I am sure we can rise to.

If any of you would like to gladden my heart by signing up for the tournament...

https://goo.gl/forms/MVUrTc3H0IEpkG0C2

Let me know if you spot any errors or oddities.

Kevin, Cian, John - thanks for the offer of help on the day. It won't involve missing any rounds, just stuff like setting all the clocks, making sure the tables are numbered and so on.

I notice a certain stony silence from the Dubliners on the subject of putting up visiting players. Ochón, ochón, that it should come to this, the great Irish tradition of hospitality reduced to mere plámás from Bord Fáilte...

Eoghan

Eoghan Barry

Dec 20, 2018, 1:35:46 PM12/20/18
to iris...@googlegroups.com
Oh, could one of you Facebook using types link the tournament page from the Irish Go Facebook group?

Grazie

Eoghan

James Hutchinson

Dec 20, 2018, 3:02:15 PM12/20/18
to iris...@googlegroups.com
Done

Arthur Cater

Dec 21, 2018, 2:33:44 PM12/21/18
to iris...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eoghan,

Thanks for running with the organisation of the Dublin tournament. I haven’t been in to Toners for a few weeks, some shitty weather and some other engagements to blame.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, until we meet again - soon I hope.

I will run the Rapid if needed.

I can offer a single accommodation, anyone taking up the offer should be aware that on Sunday morning they’d need to walk about 10 mins to the Luas, given Dublin Bus is so keen on going to Mass before going to work (I’m sure that’s it…). Also, we have dogs.

Arthur