SWAT user databases for Iran

Abbaspour

May 10, 2007, 6:34:35 AM5/10/07
to Iran SWAT Users
Thank you all for helping to create an Iranian SWAT user group. I am
sure this will help all of us to share experiences and data. As we all
work in different parts of the country, and work hard to create soil,
landuse, and climate user databases, we should not loose this
information so easily. I suggest we come up with a meaningful scheme
to create these databases and then save them so that everyone in the
group can use them.
For soil database, we should use an ID that represents the location
and the soil type. Does anyone know if such scheme exits for Iran? Do
all provinces and districts within provinces have a unique code? Then
we can use this code for location followed by soil type to identify a
soil record.
We should then send our usersoil databse to a central place to compile
and eventually create a larger Iranian soil database. Similarly with
landuse and climate data.
I agree to keep such a database along with Dr. Morid (I think he
agreed to this last time). This will eventually save students many
months of hard work.
I look forward to any suggestions and comments.

mohammad ghafouri

May 19, 2007, 3:31:29 AM5/19/07
to iran-sw...@googlegroups.com
Generally there are two types of soil maps based on soil type. The first one which is available for whole country is based on Soil Physiographic Unit with !:250000 scale. It is mainly used for land evaluation and is called Land Capability Map. It has classified soils in each P.U. and has coded them. For example; mountains, hills, alluvial fans etc are P.U.s in the map.

The second soil maps have more details and are prepared based on soil genesis and some physical properties. They are only available on some spots and regions mostly on plains for irrigation systems development. These maps are prepared based on either FAo or Soil Taxonomy methods from Soil Science Society of the USA. Soils on these maps have no code but a name and limitations eg high G.W. level, salinity, texture and K.

It seems to me that we have no choice except use the first one, S.P.U. as the whole country database in conjunction with local detailed soil maps as bench marks. The S.P.U. maps have been prepared by Soil and Water Research Institute, affiliated to Ministry of Jehad-e- Keshavarzi ( Agriculture Ministry). they may be used with corresponding to them to have their courtesy. Coding S.P.U. for SWAT modelling purposes should't be a difficult task.

Ghafouri

Abbaspour <abba...@eawag.ch> wrote:

How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.