Parameter types

Emeline Leloup

Mar 17, 2023, 8:11:46 AM3/17/23
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hi,

I want to use Irace on a parameter with 120 possible values, corresponding to permutations, meaning that one configuration is different from another one. May I set the parameter as an integer between 1 and 120 or I have to define it as categorical?
I have the same question about a boolean, may I use an integer 0 and 1 or I have to define it as categorical (true, false)?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Manuel López-Ibáñez

Mar 17, 2023, 8:37:58 AM3/17/23
On Friday, 17 March 2023 at 12:11:46 UTC Emeline Leloup wrote:
Hi,

I want to use Irace on a parameter with 120 possible values, corresponding to permutations, meaning that one configuration is different from another one. May I set the parameter as an integer between 1 and 120 or I have to define it as categorical?

To be honest, I don't know which option will perform better. I would be interested in knowing which option performs better for you.

I have the same question about a boolean, may I use an integer 0 and 1 or I have to define it as categorical (true, false)?

Boolean (or logical) parameters are best encoded as categorical ones with just two values rather than integer ones with domain $(0,1)$. Some boolean parameters take an explicit value (0/1 or true/false) such as:

dlb "--dlb " c (0, 1)

Others are switches whose presence activates the parameter:

dlb "" c ("", "--dlb")

Adding a "boolean" parameter type to make the second case look nicer:

dlb "--dlb" b # When true use --dlb when false use the empty string.

would not be a lot of work and it is in the TODO list. Any help on this would be welcome! I cannot pay you but I can add your name to the list of contributors of irace!

Cheers,

Manuel.