Constraints too strict?

Nicolás Rodríguez

Oct 17, 2022, 7:59:09 AM10/17/22
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello there,

I'm having a big problem with my forbidden configuration. When I try to launch iRace I have the following error:" Error: == irace == irace tried 100 times to sample from the model a configuration not forbidden without success, perhaps your constraints are too strict?"

I have only one restriction: (pC1 + pC2 + pC3 + pC4 == 1), where all the variables are real [0, 1], any idea how to solve this?

Maybe a normalization inside the code could work properly?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Nicolás R. Uribe

Manuel López-Ibáñez

Oct 17, 2022, 8:55:13 AM10/17/22
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Dear Nicolás,

Yes, irace samples and checks so such specific constraints require additional post-processing.

One option as you mention is to normalize inside the target-runner (or inside your algorithm).

Another option is to implement a repairConfiguration function within scenario.txt. The user guide (section 5.7 https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/irace/vignettes/irace-package.pdf) shows exactly the example that you mention about real-valued parameters summing 1.

Best wishes,

Manuel.