Irace does not execute target_runner (ubuntu)

Karla Baumann

Jul 4, 2023, 11:34:33 AM7/4/23
to irace-...@googlegroups.com, Nadia Milazzo, Marta Reina

Dear developers of Irace,

My name is Karla Baumann and I am a researcher in quantum algorithms for the startup ColibrITD. In order to obtain the best solutions for our optimization problems, we want to use Irace.

However, since a while I am trying to use irace by executing a code from an external collaborator. For him the code works well and it once worked for me as well, but since newly it does not anymore. The issue is:

I have an R script called experiment.R, which I execute. For simplicity I use the trivial example (attached to the email as zip) provided by the irace installation but the issue is the same as with my original code. (When I execute just the target runner with python command it works and I get an output)

I get the following error message using the R script:

# 2023-07-04 15:11:00 UTC: Iteration 1 of 3

# experimentsUsedSoFar: 0

# remainingBudget: 500

# currentBudget: 166

# nbConfigurations: 27

# Markers:

     x No test is performed.

     c Configurations are discarded only due to capping.

     - The test is performed and some configurations are discarded.

     = The test is performed but no configuration is discarded.

     ! The test is performed and configurations could be discarded but elite configurations are preserved.

     . All alive configurations are elite and nothing is discarded

+-+-----------+-----------+-----------+----------------+-----------+--------+-----+----+------+

| |   Instance|      Alive|       Best|       Mean best| Exp so far|  W time|  rho|KenW|  Qvar|

+-+-----------+-----------+-----------+----------------+-----------+--------+-----+----+------+

Error: == irace == error in running command

== irace == The call to targetRunner was:

/home/ubuntu/myqlm/quantum_tuning/trivial/target-runner.py 1 1 960910958 instance1   --param1 96.9833 --ptype a

== irace == The output was:

== irace == This is not a bug in irace, but means that something failed when running the command(s) above or they were terminated before completion. Try to run the command(s) above from the execution directory '/home/ubuntu/myqlm/quantum_tuning/trivial' to investigate the issue. See also Appendix B (targetRunner troubleshooting checklist) of the User Guide (https://cran.r-project.org/package=irace/vignettes/irace-package.pdf).

Execution halted

As far as my knowledge goes, I tried everything suggested by the documentation, but it did not lead to resolving the issue.

I would be very grateful for further help and if you need more information, please let me know.

Best regards,

Karla

trivial_colibritd.zip

Manuel López-Ibáñez

Jul 4, 2023, 11:41:58 AM7/4/23
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hi Karla,

What you are doing in experiment.R seems very strange to me, but I don't think that is the main problem. Can you call "irace --check" and report the result?

If you do it from within R, then:

library(irace)
irace.cmdline("--check")

Thanks,

Manuel.

Manuel López-Ibáñez

Jul 4, 2023, 11:48:19 AM7/4/23
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
By the way, I tried to run your example using:

library(irace)
irace.cmdline("")

and it works for me. But I had to change the first line of target-runner.py to:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

Maybe this is the problem also in your system?

Cheers,

Manuel.