[Recovering a race] object 'boundEstimate' not found

marce...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2020, 3:09:02 AM6/20/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello
I was trying to recover an iRace run due to a power cut. I follow the steps given in Section 8 of the User Guide, i.e., make a backup of the log file and then re-start irace with the parameter --recovery-file. Then the following error occurs:

Error in irace(scenario = scenario, parameters = parameters) :
  object 'boundEstimate' not found
Calls: irace.cmdline -> irace.main -> irace
Execution halted

Is it an error in my log file? Or even the scenario and parameters files?
Thanks

Manuel López-Ibáñez

Jun 22, 2020, 9:56:14 AM6/22/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Marcelo,

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you have found a bug in our recovery. For handling maxTime budget, we need to estimate the runtime of a run before running it, however, we failed to save this estimate for recovery. If recovering is very important for you, you could "hack" the recovery file as follows:

load("irace.Rdata")
iraceResults$state$boundEstimate <- BOUND_ESTIMATE
save(iraceResults, file="irace-fixed.Rdata")

where BOUND_ESTIMATE is the value printed by irace in your previous run before the power cut. I'm not sure it will work or, if it seems to work, whether it will do the same thing as if starting from scratch (probably not).

We will try to fix this bug for the next irace version!

Cheers,

Manuel.

Leslie Perez Caceres

Jun 22, 2020, 1:04:19 PM6/22/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Marcelo,

We are trying to figure out how to fix the bug you described in irace.
Could you please send us the Rdata you are using to recover and the output you get (before the error) when you recover.

Thanks a lot!

marce...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2020, 2:37:49 AM6/23/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Manuel! Thanks for the quick response. I tried the hack, but a new problem arose:

Error in sample.int(n = nrow(eliteConfigurations), size = 1, prob = eliteConfigurations[[".WEIGHT."]]) :
  invalid first argument

As you said that it is probably a recovery bug, I started a new race.

Marcelo F

Jun 23, 2020, 2:37:50 AM6/23/20
to Leslie Perez Caceres, The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Leslie!
Of course. The files are attached.

Cheers
Marcelo W. Friske

log_irace.txt
irace.Rdata

Leslie Perez Caceres

Jun 23, 2020, 2:52:54 AM6/23/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Marcelo,

I think I know what went wrong with the recovery. Two things i notice:

1) log_irace.txt says that irace 3.3 was used (the current version in cran is 3.4 though so I would recommend to update it)
2) irace.Rdata says irace version is 3.1, this old version has the bug in the recovery function, and this is the reason why you were not able to recover

So you have two different versions of irace installed, it would be good that you make sure that you have only one version to avoid this problem. (Maybe you have two versions of R installd or maybe you are running in different machines )

Lastly, note that the Rdata that you attach does not have experiment data so you wont be able to use this to recover, i guess you still have your backup saved no?
You can use the backup Rdata file to run the recovery with a newer irace version and should be ok.

Cheers,
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to irace-package+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Marcelo F

Jun 23, 2020, 2:09:57 PM6/23/20
to Leslie Perez Caceres, The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration
Hello Leslie!
Oh! What a mistake! In fact, I did not check if the version was the newest!
I will fix it!

It is possible that the iRace log file was replaced, as I forgot to make a backup copy of the file and then tried to recover the race. Maybe it will be interesting if such a copy is made automatically by iRace in a next version?

Thanks a lot!

Marcelo W. Friske

Leslie Perez Caceres

Jun 23, 2020, 2:28:16 PM6/23/20
to The irace package: Iterated Racing for Automatic Configuration

Yes, actually, the current version of the recovery does not allow to recover from a file in the same path as the recovery file.
So, you should not have this problem when you update irace. Let us know if you encounter any other issue.

Bests!