Final Competition POSTPONEMENT

Scott Sanner

Apr 20, 2011, 10:14:56 PM4/20/11
to ippc...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

The final competition has been POSTPONED.

Why postpone?
===

I've received a mass of email since posting the final competition domains regarding a number of issues:

- there is a domain bug in Recon (I introduced it when converting the domain to the format the translator expects)

- there are a number of syntactic constructs that competitor's parsers do not seem to support, the easiest fix is to make some small domain modifications

- there seems to be a problem with the SPUDD translation (but the source of this problem is not verified yet)

All of these issues need to be ironed out well in advance of when the competition starts and I do not think this can satisfactorily happen within the next 2 hours.

New plans for final competition
===

Given the array of time zones in which competitors are located, synchronizing the start time has turned out to be a bad idea.

Consequently, we'll switch to the following final competition format:

- All domains and sample instances (though not ones that will appear in the competition) will be released ahead of time
  [these are being updated to deal with the above issues and I would like to add an 8th domain]

- Once we're satisfied that all domain and translation bugs are ironed out (i.e., no more issues raised by competitors), we'll set a start date for the competition (we aim for this start date to be within the next 2 days)
**there will be a planner freeze as of this start date... your only modifications should be bug fixes (seg faults, parser errors, etc...)

- Once the start date is announced, competitors can email Sungwook and I ahead of time to request any 24 period within that 1 week to run their planner
**when the designated time comes, we'll email a private link to the list of final competition instances, and a Server name / port
**the Server will run for 24 hours from the designated start time

To all who are inconvenienced and understandably annoyed by this postponement
===

I sincerely apologize... it would simply be a mistake to run the competition right now with all of the problems that have been reported.

Cheers,
Scott