Some News

Thomas Calmant

Mar 28, 2018, 12:34:24 PM3/28/18
to ipopo...@googlegroups.com, ipop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Some months have past since the last mail on this list, so I thought an update on the project would be interesting.

The current state of the master branch seems stable, so version 0.7.1 should be released in the first or second week of April.
It will bring a new feature, the EventListenerHook [1], which has been contributed by Scott Lewis [2]. It will allow to capture service events before they are given to listeners.
Also, the shell console has been enhanced a bit, with a way better handling of command & arguments completions.
In terms of bugs, the logging service has been fixed: it wasn't starting correctly in some conditions.

I'm also working with Matthieu Caneill [3], who is preparing what will become the Pelix Web Console. It is a very early stage project, but we are confident it will ease managing Pelix framework instances.
The result of this work will be a set of bundles providing servlets publishing a REST API and to pages working with this API.
It has not yet been decided if the web console will be included in the core project or if it will be a side package.

A side project I'm willing to work on is the implementation of a TLS shell server and its client.
It was initiated as a student project [4] some years ago, but sadly it wasn't finished in time.
The objective would be to have a secure way to connect distant instances, with certificate-based authentication.
This would allow to replace the telnet-like unsecured remote shell with something more wild-world proof.
Alas, time is an expensive resource.

I'll keep you update on those projects.

Cheers,
Thomas