Effect of thermostat rescaling constant

Karthik Ganeshan

Mar 1, 2021, 3:02:10 PM3/1/21
to ipi-users
Hi i-pi community,

I was wondering what the optimal setting for \tau for the thermostat should be in TRPMD. I came across a recent paper (Hellstrom et al, JPCB 2018 112(44), 10158-10171) that uses PILE-G thermostat with \tau =100 fs.

However, is this an adequate setting or should it be increased, perhaps to 1000 fs to mimic NVE, when gathering dynamics data? Is it a fundamental requirement of TRPMD to have a reasonably low \tau?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Karthik.

Michele Ceriotti

Mar 1, 2021, 3:09:37 PM3/1/21
to ipi-users
This is an excellent question. Strictly speaking, one should thermalize using imaginary time (fully thermostatted PIMD) trajectories,
and then launch simulations with no thermostat on the centroid. In practice, for a large enough system (a few 10s of atoms) the impact
of a global centroid thermostat on dynamical properties is minimal, and simplifies much the workflow.
I have run with pile-g and a centroid tau of 1fs, finding no appreciable difference in the spectra or diffusion coefficients, so 100fs is a pretty safe setting.

marian...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2021, 4:00:49 PM3/1/21
to ipi-users
Hey Karthik,

Just to complement the answer, your conclusion (a very high tau to mimic NVE) is thus completely correct, and the careful way to do it is to pre-thermalize with PIMD (using aggressive thermostats overall).

It is just that as Michele says, these global thermostats tend to affect dynamics little, and sometimes it is practical to use a lower tau if you are sure your system is not affected -- or at least not affected in ways that matter to you. If it was me doing the simulations, I would nevertheless check that this is fine for my system. If it is a system that has been simulated 1000s of times (e.g. water or similar), then it is ok :-)

Cheers,
Mariana

Karthik Ganeshan

Mar 1, 2021, 4:10:26 PM3/1/21
to ipi-users
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much, both of you! :D

Sincerely,
Karthik.