How are NVE simulations done in PIMD?

Shubhang Goswami

May 9, 2024, 11:14:39 AMMay 9
to ipi-users
Hello all,
I am new to PIMD and am curious how the NVE microcanoncial simulation is done for path integral molecular dynamics? I looked through the paper in the Journal of Chemical Physics 133, 124104 (2010) listed in the documentation that talks about thermostats. But I still do not understand whats going on with the path integral when the temperature is constantly changing in a microcanonical ensemble (beta changes every step hence the path length).

How does Ipi do microcanonical runs in its NVE mode and take care of this issue?

Sincerely,
Shubhang

Michele Ceriotti

May 14, 2024, 7:02:04 AMMay 14
to ipi-users
The path integral formalism is inherently canonical and samples thermodynamic averages.
In more general term "beta changes every step" does not make sense, because - even in a NVT
simulation - the kinetic energy does not define the temperature *instantaneously* but only
when averaged.

The constant-energy version of PIMD (known as RPMD) is used as an approximation for quantum
time correlation functions. If you want a primer about PIMD and RPMD you can follow the
is a good review on RPMD, and http://doi.org/10.1063/1.4901214 a good comparison of
different approximate quantum dynamics methods.

Michele