Pressure keep decreasing with simulation steps

caihong gao

Sep 7, 2021, 10:51:06 PM9/7/21
to ipi-users
Hi everyone,
I am trying to use deep potentials with I-PI to predict H isotope fractionations, but I met a problem with I-PI.
When I use deep potentials (generated by deepmd-kit with FPMD data) to predict 'isosc' and 'isotd' for H and O in water, the results of isotope estimators looks good, but the pressure decrease linearly with simulation steps (both 'press_cv' and 'press_md')(see the attached figure). I tried to change the number of beads and water molecules and run more simulation steps, but the problem exits. I guess the problem is related to my input settings, but I can not find the problematic setting. I have attached the input files of one of my calculations. Is there anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks!

Best,
Caihong Gao
press-cv.jpgpress-md.jpg
input.xml
in.lmp

caihong gao

Sep 7, 2021, 10:56:57 PM9/7/21
to ipi-users
Here are the other input files.
water_40.xyz
data.lmp
water.json

Michele Ceriotti

Sep 8, 2021, 3:09:44 AM9/8/21
to ipi-users
So, I ran this with a n2p2 water potential, and I see no issue. Pressure is large and negative, but this is because the cell has a volume which is some 30% larger than the equilibrium volume - if you run npt it goes back to equilibrium real quick.
So this is a problem of your DeepMD potential, and/or the DeepMD LAMMPS implementation.
If you want to use the n2p2 potential (which is trained on b3lyp calculations, from doi.org/10.1063/1.4971438 ) I attach it. Otherwise, you'll have to figure it out on your own I fear.
Re press_md vs press_cv: press_md is the classical pressure of the extended-Hamiltonian run. it has no physical meaning and it is mostly there for diagnostic purposes. press_cv is the centroid virial estimator of the pressure, and is the one you need to look at.
Cheers
Michele
pressure-nvt.pdf
water-test.zip
volume-npt.pdf

caihong gao

Sep 9, 2021, 5:13:55 AM9/9/21
to ipi-users
Thanks for your answer, this help me a lot.  It looks like the problem is related to the potential. I will try to find the solution in the dp forum, maybe someone have met the same problem. Thanks!

best,
Caihong Gao

caihong gao

Sep 13, 2021, 9:48:16 PM9/13/21
to ipi-users
With the help from Deepmd developer, the problem has been solved. It seems like that the problem is related to dp_ipi. When I use fix ipi instead of fix dp_ipi in the lammps, use lammps instead of dp_ipi, the pressure reported by i-pi looks normally. Maybe it is a bug related to dp_ipi.

Michele Ceriotti

Sep 14, 2021, 3:58:05 AM9/14/21
to ipi-users

Thanks for the update. We are not involved in the development of dp_ipi so we'll let them handle what's going wrong. Glad your problem was solved.