conserved quantity increases linearly

Bence Balázs Mészáros

Jul 16, 2024, 2:08:11 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to ipi-users
Dear all,

I would like to run PIMD simulations of water using 32 beads on 298K with a qtip4pf force engine, however, the conserved quantity increases linearly quite significantly (more than 10 eV after 10 ps). When I decrease the timestep from 0.25 to 0.1 fs, the drift almost disappears (~0.2 eV after 10 ps). I would like to know, if there's something wrong with my setup, or the 0.1 fs timestep is necessary for PIMD in this case. I attached all my inputs, some of the main parameters:

thermostat: pile_g
tau: 100 fs
mode: NVT

(The standard pimd example with 4 beads gave similarly increasing conserved quantity: i-pi/examples/features/path_integral_molecular_dynamics/standard_pimd_liquid_water)

Best regards,
Bence Mészáros

Mariana Rossi

Jul 16, 2024, 6:49:42 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to ipi-users

Hi Bence, thanks for reporting. If this is ok, could you try two things? First, check if the drift is the same with the latest version of i-PI in the repository and i-PI version 2.6 (there is a tag that can be downloaded from the repository). Then also check whether the drift is unchanged if you set the flag <fixcom> to False explicitly. I would be grateful if you can report back on these two tests. Depending on how they turn out we analyze further! Thanks.

Bence Balázs Mészáros

Jul 16, 2024, 6:51:33 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to ipi-users
Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried both suggestions (and I've also tried False fixcom in i-pi 2.6.1), and still have the same issue, unfortunately.

Mariana Rossi

Jul 19, 2024, 9:45:21 AM (8 days ago) Jul 19
to ipi-users
Hi Bence! Ok great, thank you. Then it is not a bug but rather how this is. I think your original inputs did not come in the first message. Could you finally send them?  Then we can look at this more closely.

Bence Balázs Mészáros

Jul 19, 2024, 10:26:31 AM (8 days ago) Jul 19
to ipi-users
Dear Mariana,

My apologies, I forgot to attach them.
inputs.zip