iphotoexport v1.5.1: can't sync due to fatal error in macostools.py library

1 view

Sid

Dec 10, 2009, 4:04:45 AM12/10/09
to iphotoexport-users
Hi,

First off, THANKS for the initiative in making this tool. This is
awesome!

I was trying to create a folder on my Time Machine drive (only HFS+
partition with gigs of free space). I'm getting what seems to be a
python library error. I've copy-pasted the terminal output below.

System: Macbook, 10.6.2, core2duo, 4GB ram
Iphoto export: version 1.5.1

I'm a s/w dev too, but more into assembly, C and perl - I've got the
iPhone SDK installed (just for kicks!), so could help out a bit in
getting debug into to you. I've got NO background whatsoever in python
though ...

Cheers
Sid

=====log below =======

SidsMac:iphotoexport-1.5.1 sid$ ./iphotoexport.py -e . /Users/Shared/
Pictures/iPhoto\ Library /Volumes/Time\ Machine/Picasa
Reading iPhoto database...
Converting iPhoto data...
Scanning iPhoto data for photos to export...
Scanning existing files in export folder...
Exporting photos from iPhoto to export folder...
New file: /Volumes/Time Machine/Picasa/2001 School/Water Kingdom-1.jpg
(copy)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 723, in <module>
main()
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 719, in main
export_iphoto(data, export_dir, options.exclude, exclude_folders,
options)
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 607, in export_iphoto
album.generate_files(options)
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 583, in generate_files
self.named_folders[key].generate_files(options)
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 440, in generate_files
self.files[f].generate(options)
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 238, in generate
copy_or_link_file(source_file, self.export_file, options)
File "./iphotoexport.py", line 157, in copy_or_link_file
macostools.copy(source, target)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/plat-mac/macostools.py", line 107, in copy
srcfss = File.FSSpec(src)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'FSSpec'
SidsMac:iphotoexport-1.5.1 sid$

=====log above =======

Tilman

Dec 10, 2009, 12:32:14 PM12/10/09
to iphotoexport-users
It looks like you have a broken macostools.py on your system. Try
version 1.5 of iphotoexport.py instead - it doesn't use macostools. I
switched to using macostools in 1.5.1 for copying photos because it
can handle file aliases.

The other thing I noticed is that you are running with python2.6. On
my systems, I get python2.5 as the default, although I see python 2.6
is installed. I'll have to figure out how you can control that, and
see if it's a Python 2.5 vs. Python 2.6 problem.

Tilman

Rainman

Dec 20, 2009, 10:05:31 PM12/20/09
to iphotoexport-users
I received the same error this evening. I am running the latest build
of OS X (Snow Leopard) 10.6.2. I reverted back to version 1.5 as
suggested, and the error went away.

Perhaps Apple did something different with macostools in Snow Leopard
(or in a recent patch). Thanks for the recommendation for a fix. It
looks like version 1.5 works better on my OS than the newer 1.5.1.

This is great!

Tilman

Dec 22, 2009, 7:48:29 PM12/22/09
to iphotoexport-users
It appears that this error occurs if you are running the 64-bit
version of Python, but not if you are running the 32-bit version.

I need to find something that copies the file that an Mac OSX file
alias refers instead of just making a copy of the alias.

Tilman

Tilman

Jan 5, 2010, 2:57:13 AM1/5/10
to iphotoexport-users
I have reverted to the old style file copy method with
iphotoexport-1.5.2. That avoids this problem.

Tilman

Siddharth Shetye

Jan 5, 2010, 3:06:52 AM1/5/10
to iphotoexp...@googlegroups.com
Thank Tilman. I've been reading on the sidelines, but the idea to make this an application is a good one. Having an application bundle is also easy to develop and maintain (folders-files-classes hierarchy) vs one monolithic perl script.

Cheers!
Sid