Would someone explain these error messages and how fix it

Mark

Jun 24, 2010, 10:24:25 PM6/24/10
to iphotoexport-users
I'm getting some error messages on many of my JPEG images and I don't
know what they mean or what I need to do to fix them. I'd appreciate
it if someone could shed some light on this for me. The two most
common ones are (I abbreviated the file path to make it easier to
read)...

New file: path_to_file (copy)
Updating IPTC for path_to_file because of date (None instead of
2007-10-03 14:29:06)
Warning: Duplicate Orientation tag in IFD0 - path_to_file

The second error is:

New file: path_to_file (copy)
Updating IPTC for path_to_file because of keywords
(azalea,rest,cemetery instead of cemetery)
Warning: Truncated PreviewIFD directory. IFD dropped. - path_to_file
Error: [minor] Bad PreviewIFD directory - path_to_file
Failed to update IPTC data in image path_to_file: 0 image files
updated
1 files weren't updated due to errors

Tilman

Jun 25, 2010, 1:39:49 AM6/25/10
to iphotoexport-users
The first one is just a warning that a tag in the meta data of your
images is duplicated. That happens quite a lot, and has no
consequences.

The second messages tells you that there's a problem with the meta
data in your image and "exiftool" (the utility used by iphotoexport to
update image meta data) did not make any changes because it would
probably wipe out some of the meta data in the process. Your image is
still exported, but the keywords did not get properly updated.
iphotoexport is coded to be on the save side, to not trash your images
by accident.

Tilman

Mark

Jun 25, 2010, 10:14:09 AM6/25/10
to iphotoexport-users
Thanks for the info and the great tool. Is there some way to fix
these, specifically the second item? This image metadata stuff is a
new area for me.

While I'm thinking about it, I noticed that when exporting Albums that
if there are parenthesis in the name (e.g. "Mom's Photos (2005)") it
will not export, or at least not for me. Events and files seem to do
fine. This is not a complaint, just an observation and was easy to
work around. I just did not see this mentioned in the documentation so
I thought I would mention it.

Mark

Jun 25, 2010, 10:13:53 PM6/25/10
to iphotoexport-users
Never mind about a fix. I was able to get it resolved.

Tilman

Jun 26, 2010, 12:48:23 PM6/26/10
to iphotoexport-users
I just tested with an album with () in the name. I had no problem
exporting it. The parenthesis characters get replaced by underscores,
so "Lake (Tahoe)" becomes "Lake _Tahoe_".

Tilman