Terminal Problems

matt

Nov 29, 2009, 1:24:17 AM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
I'm new to using Terminal. Made a directory "Orig Pics" and my iphoto
is not in the default. Below is what I typed and got this
error....iphotoexport.py: error: Incorrect number of arguments (expect
2, found 3)

./iphotoexport.py -e . ~/users/me/pictures/iphoto library ~/pictures/
orig pics

I can't seem to get the syntax correct. Thanks in advance.

Tilman

Nov 29, 2009, 1:40:41 AM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
Matt.
in Terminal, arguments are separated by white space. To avoid
getting your library and export paths split into two arguments each,
surround them with quote (") characters, as in
./iphotoexport.py -e . "~/users/me/pictures/iphoto library" "~/
pictures/orig pics"
or use a backquote character before the space, as in
./iphotoexport.py -e . ~/users/me/pictures/iphoto\ library ~/
pictures/orig\ pics

Tilman

matt

Nov 29, 2009, 1:59:03 AM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
Thanks for the basic instructions. The program executed. I do have
an error saying that the "iphoto library does not appear to be a vaild
iPhoto library location." Strange because while holding the option
key, that is the path I see for the default library location. I'm
using iphoto 09 with leopard. Hrm...

Tilman

Nov 29, 2009, 2:06:09 AM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
Matt,
I have no idea where your library is, but I suspect you need to
change the command to
./iphotoexport.py -e . "/users/me/pictures/iphoto library" "~/
pictures/orig pics"
E.g. don't put a "~" at the beginning of the library path, ahead of /
users. That is most likely wrong.

Tilman

matt

Nov 29, 2009, 2:19:05 AM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
Thanks for your prompt response. I think I have a bigger issue with
the library itself as I was just informed that the iphoto library
"icon" was dragged from my mac to an external drive and back. I
failed to mentioned that my thumbnails are not updated and I suspect
it was due to the moving of the library. The iphotoexport looks very
promising when I get this library squared away. I'll keep you posted
when I get this library straighten out. Thanks again.

matt

Nov 29, 2009, 2:26:29 PM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
I successfully ran your program! The events with no pictures
transfered as folders with no pictures. I did notice that some
events that was not assigned a name transfered into a folder of a
different date. I have pictures that was taken on Aug 2, 2009 but was
transfered into a folder titled Aug 4, 2009. This happened several
times. However, the filename is the same but the properties, e.g.,
date and time, have acquired some new value. I think it is also
important to mention that I used the export function in iphoto 09 and
the obtain the same result for that particular event. Same file names
but transfered with a different date and time. Overall I am pleased
with your program. Thanks.

Tilman

Nov 29, 2009, 11:31:27 PM11/29/09
to iphotoexport-users
Matt,
what do you mean by "events with no pictures". I thought iPhoto
automatically deletes events that have no pictures!

About the dates... events always have a name, but events have no
dates. If you don't name the events on import, iPhoto will
automatically assign a name to it, using the current date to create
the name. It's just a name that happens to look like a date, but it's
not really a date. Each photo has it's own date, and can live in any
event. If you select an event without opening it, the information
window in the lower left will show you the date range of the photos in
the event.

Tilman

matt

Dec 1, 2009, 2:46:44 AM12/1/09
to iphotoexport-users
Good News! It works. Before iphoto09 came out we had many folders
with different file sizes of the same file. Somebody else went into
the original folder and moved the files to an external drive. Doing
that made only the thumbnails available but not the original files.
So we do have folders with no files. About the events, I did go back
a gave each event a more useful name like you mentioned in a previous
post with the numeric date preceding a description. The photoexporter
behaved as expected. I also discovered iphoto09 is able to globally
change file dates, names, etc. I'm glad it all works. Thanks for
this awesome program.

Matt