Feature request: Pre-fix event name with user defined text

Mark

Jun 13, 2010, 1:16:17 AM6/13/10
to iphotoexport-users
Here's what I would like to accomplish. When exporting photos I want
to prefix the exported folder with user defined text and the event
name. I am a new Mac user and have decided to use iPhoto. I currently
organize my folders on external disc (shared with others over a
network) with date + description and would like to keep this scheme.
For example, I would have 2010.04.12 Easter. I don't see how to
accomplish this currently with iPhotoExport, unless of course I name
the event like this in iPhoto. But this does use up the limited
viewable space for event names in iPhoto.

The basic events function (-e) uses my text but it then creates
another sub-folder which isn't always desirable since it forces you to
drill down another level when there may only be one other level.

Using the albums functionality (-a or -s) would work except that I
would have to create an album or smart album for every event. Again,
this would work but is not desirable.

I think if the --folderhints function would work with albums and/or
smart albums that this would accomplish what I'm after. Another option
would be to have something like --folderhints (e.g. --prefixfolder)
that simply prefixed the event name instead of creating a sub-folder.

For me it would be great if iPhotoExport would include the ability to
do this, but if this is too much I wouldn't mind modifying it for
myself. I looked at the code but it wasn't obvious to me what to
change.

I would like to say that iPhotoExport is a fantastic tool as is! This
would just it even better <grin>.

Tilman

Jun 13, 2010, 1:38:39 AM6/13/10
to iphotoexport-users
Mark,
one of the reasons why I decided to use Python as the language for
iphotoexport was to make it quite easy to customize it. If you want to
give it a try, have a look at these two lines:
if folder_hint is not None:
prefix = prefix + make_foldername(folder_hint) + "/"
You could for example replace the "/" with " ", and then you could
use folder hints as name prefixes instead of folder names.

I'll think about adding a naming template, just like there is one
for picture names already.

Glad to hear you like iphotoexport. Stay tuned for some major
enhancements coming soon!

Tilman

Mark

Jun 13, 2010, 2:38:51 PM6/13/10
to iphotoexport-users
PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch! I really
appreciate the quick reply also.

This is really good stuff. I can't wait to see what the future holds.