Launching mobileconfig file from UIWebView

Irene Hu

May 13, 2011, 9:10:58 AM5/13/11
to iphonesdkd...@googlegroups.com, Irene Hu
Hi,

I like to launch and install my profile configuration file from within the application, and return to other tasks within my application when done.

Using UIApplication openURL method, I can launch my mobileconfig file from Safari to install my profile configuration onto the device.  But then, the application exists.  Using the UIWebView loadrequest method, the mobileconfig file is only displayed as a flat file and does not trigger a configuration profile launch.

Is there a way to launch and install my configuration file as a profile and not have to exit the app after the install?

Thanks in advice for your help,
Irene

Jorge

May 13, 2011, 12:02:42 PM5/13/11
to iPhone SDK Development
I have been looking for this functionality as well. Here is some info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2338035/installing-a-configuration-profile-on-iphone-programmatically

It seems only safari and mail have privileges to open the mobileconfig
mime type
-j

Jesse Tayler

May 13, 2011, 12:35:56 PM5/13/11
to iphonesdkd...@googlegroups.com, Irene Hu
that mime type is private, I'm pretty certain you'll have to have multiple confirmations from Mail and Safari.

Jesse Tayler

May 13, 2011, 1:01:41 PM5/13/11
to Irene Hu, iphonesdkd...@googlegroups.com
I still don't think so, but I hadn't seen this documentation either --

You are in uncharted water.

On May 13, 2011, at 12:58 PM, Irene Hu wrote:

Hi Jesse,

Seems like the MIME type is public now.  I found it on Apple's Over-the-Air Profile Delivery and
Configuration document (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/iPhoneOTAConfiguration/iPhoneOTAConfiguration.pdf).  On page 21, its documented as "application/x-apple-aspen-config".

Is there a way to make use of this MIME type info to launch the configuration profile within my app?

Thanks,
Irene

Irene Hu

Jorge

May 13, 2011, 1:10:21 PM5/13/11
to iPhone SDK Development
I do want the user confirmation. The issue is how to do it from an app
instead of going through UIApplication openURL which opens safari.

Irene Hu

May 14, 2011, 7:43:53 PM5/14/11
to iphonesdkd...@googlegroups.com, Irene Hu
Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the link.  Its full of very useful information.

I did try out the email and UIWebView approaches.  I can send email out from my app with the configuration file as an attachment and launch that profile from email on the device.  However, its seems like Apple has closed off launching of configuration profile file using both openURL and UIWebView.  I tried both loading data with the profile MIME type as well as load request with file://.. Both didn't work for me.

Using UIWebView to load contents from a secure server url only displays the file, and didn't launch the configuration proflie.  However, openURL access to secure server url works.

Thanks,
Irene

Sagar Joshi

Feb 28, 2014, 2:04:22 PM2/28/14
to iphonesdkd...@googlegroups.com, Irene Hu
Hello,

I am trying to do something similar within my app. I am currently loading the settings by sending the config file as an email.

Does anyone have an update on if we can load the config file using the UIWebView or even on a button click (if the config file is within the app)

Thanks
Sagar
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to iphonesdkdevelopment+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Gaurav tiwari

Jan 27, 2016, 8:23:39 AM1/27/16
to iPhone SDK Development, iren...@gmail.com
Hello
 i also want to create Parent Child Controller for ios using MDM so is it Possible and if it is possible then what are the Prerequisites for it?
Thanks in advice for your help.