Code signing required and enforced on iPhone OS 2.0 devices.

Steve Shi

Apr 24, 2008, 3:31:08 PM4/24/08
to iphoneo...@googlegroups.com
I have just downloaded and installed the latest beta 4 release of iPhone OS SDK today.  One thing in its documentation has immediately caught my attention:

Code Signing
NEW: Code signing is now enforced on the device. This means that your project will need to have a certificate signing identity that resolves to a valid certificate in your keychain. If there is no identity entered, the code will run properly in the simulator, but will fail to execute on devices.

At this moment, I am not sure whether this means I can simply get away with a self-signed "fake" certificate to sign and get my code running on real device or I must have a real valid certificate signed by either Apple or other CA. The worst case could be: without a valid certificate and code signing, the code (installed via installer.spp) can't even be run on unlocked iphone 2.0 OS devices.

If you have any findings about this issue, thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,
Steve