how to sync data over the air?

Paul

Aug 24, 2008, 5:10:50 PM8/24/08
to iPhoneOSCoders
Hello all,

I purchased my first mac on 8/23 to follow my new
"Calling"...developing apps for the iPhone. I am currently viewing the
instructional videos from developer.apple.com and I wanted to know if
anyone here knows what keywords/subjects I need to search to learn how
to sync iPhone apps to a webserver.

for instance, I would like to create a simple notes application that
would sync to my online server with user generated profiles, nothing
fancy just a basic notes app that will backup/sync over the air.

i asked a buddy of mine and his response was

"Going to need to know how to access a web service, parse xml to a
dataobject and store the dataobject into a local database on the
iphone."

any other tips for a new aspiring iPhone developer?

Thanks in advance!

~Paul

mac mini
2.0GHz
4gb ram
320 gb HD

Michael Rutman

Aug 25, 2008, 10:21:37 AM8/25/08
to iphoneo...@googlegroups.com

There is nothing magic about iPhone and web based syncing. Do you
know how to do this from a Linux or Windows box?

David Phillip Oster

Aug 26, 2008, 2:25:46 PM8/26/08
to iPhoneOSCoders
I've written up the basics of getting the raw data from/to at
http://turbozen.com/howto Apple's SeismicXML example:
file:///Library/Developer/Shared/Documentation/DocSets/com.apple.adc.documentation.AppleiPhone2_0.iPhoneLibrary.docset/Contents/Resources/Documents/samplecode/SeismicXML/
covers reading and writing XML. http://www.blakeseely.com/downloads.html
has Objective-C code for reading and writing JSON.

Paul

Aug 25, 2008, 12:51:57 PM8/25/08
to iPhoneOSCoders
unfortunately I don't know how. I have a Linux box and I'm eager to
learn but don't know where to start. I don't know what keywords/
subjects to search for to begin learning.