New version

ya1950

Jul 10, 2009, 2:37:21 AM7/10/09
to iPhone Siddur
Just installed. Can't find Mariv in any Nusach. Also getting error
message about having to be in landscape mode when trying to access
calendar despite being in landscape mode. I know Marariv is 'optional'
but still ... ;)

Barry Schwartz

Jul 10, 2009, 6:01:30 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Marriv on Friday is hidden, because Maariv on Friday is Shabbos
davening. :)

Make sure to hold the phone up when accessing calendar for the first
time.

Joel Hakoune

Jul 10, 2009, 8:45:14 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Well, let me say this is quite ridiculous, sorry to be a bit rude :)

I understand some crazy people out there make misuse of the iphone,
using the siddur on shabbos,...
However, you shouldn't punish the whole community for this, as they're
probably a very few people.

So, the solution i suggest is that the iphone checks at the launch
time (or maybe when it's running too), if it's forbidden to use right
now, then put a message the user shouldn't use the siddur right now
and close the app. I think it's quite simple, as siddur does all these
kind of checks already.

Thanks.
__________
Regards,
Joel-H.

Barry Schwartz

Jul 10, 2009, 8:51:25 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Joel, that is pretty rude. :) This has been a feature for a long long
time now. You are just noticing it now? It is not new to 4.0. It
was first introduced with version 3.5 on May 7th, so it has been
"ridiculous" since then.

We rarely get complaints from observant Jews. Actually, this is the
first complaint we received about this.

I am not understanding why you care so much? Do you need weekday
Maariv on a Friday morning?

ASK

Jul 10, 2009, 8:51:09 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
But Joel that is the whole brilliance of a "smart siddur" and makes the app special - it only shows your the tefilas that are relevant for that day.

Barry Schwartz

Jul 10, 2009, 8:52:29 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
ASK, but to be fair to Joel, even if Smart Siddur is turned off in preferences, we still do hide Maariv on Fridays and Shacharis and Mincha on Saturdays.

Joel Hakoune

Jul 10, 2009, 9:30:02 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

On 10/07/2009, at 15:51 , Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Joel, that is pretty rude. :) This has been a feature for a long long
> time now. You are just noticing it now? It is not new to 4.0. It
> was first introduced with version 3.5 on May 7th, so it has been
> "ridiculous" since then.

Yes, i know, and i told you about this at that time. However, i didn't
get a proper feedback. So, i'm just trying again :)

> We rarely get complaints from observant Jews. Actually, this is the
> first complaint we received about this.
>
> I am not understanding why you care so much? Do you need weekday
> Maariv on a Friday morning?

First, it doesn't solve the problem, as they still can play around
with the siddur, map, misheberach list, calendar,... So, is it only
maariv that bothers you? You're very right, they shouldn't use siddur
to pray on shabbos, but they shouldn't use it at all on shabbos. I
think you should do it the right way, not just by hiding a prayer or
two. So, i think my suggestion would be the best solution to this
unbelievable issue.

BTW, what about the chagim? So, you'll have to check all these special
days. So, again...

Also, it doesn't look right, not being able to see some prayers on
chol. That's why people think it some kind of "undocumented
feature" (bug:)

At last but not least, but i know you don't agree with me on this,
maybe if other people could give their opinion on this as well,
sometimes i just want to check the nusach of the prayer for a specific
day. So, i don't think you should hide any prayer at all.

One more thing, several people already asked for it, it would be much
better to have the siddur settings right into the app itself, instead
of having to switch to the settings app then back to siddur.
Sometimes, i just want to enable/disable a feature temporarily (for
instance the smart siddur), this way is a real a pain.
There are other app-store apps doing this, so i really don't see why
you don't.
For instance, yesterday i used the siddur at mincha, and i noticed the
kriyat hatorah didn't show :( I'll have to take a look at it. Anyway,
turning the smart siddur off/on would really be helpful, sometimes.

I really appreciate all your effort and together with all the other
users. Thank you both (including Ronnie) very very much for this
unique and wonderful siddur.

I'm in a great lack of time, since a couple of months, so i'll ask
some more time to get further with the edot hamizrach updates :)

Thanks a lot.
__________
Regards,
Joel-H.

Barry Schwartz

Jul 10, 2009, 9:42:44 AM7/10/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
>> Joel, that is pretty rude. :) This has been a feature for a long
>> long
>> time now. You are just noticing it now? It is not new to 4.0. It
>> was first introduced with version 3.5 on May 7th, so it has been
>> "ridiculous" since then.
>
> Yes, i know, and i told you about this at that time. However, i didn't
> get a proper feedback. So, i'm just trying again :)

Sorry if I did not respond, I had a baby around then, so I might have
missed some emails. Clearly not typical of me or RustyBrick.

>> We rarely get complaints from observant Jews. Actually, this is the
>> first complaint we received about this.
>>
>> I am not understanding why you care so much? Do you need weekday
>> Maariv on a Friday morning?
>>

> First, it doesn't solve the problem, as they still can play around
> with the siddur, map, misheberach list, calendar,... So, is it only
> maariv that bothers you? You're very right, they shouldn't use siddur
> to pray on shabbos, but they shouldn't use it at all on shabbos. I
> think you should do it the right way, not just by hiding a prayer or
> two. So, i think my suggestion would be the best solution to this
> unbelievable issue.

This is not an "unbelievable issue," really. Apple would likely
disapprove the app if it didn't work on certain days. Apple is crazy
with that. Trust me.

> BTW, what about the chagim? So, you'll have to check all these special
> days. So, again...
>
> Also, it doesn't look right, not being able to see some prayers on
> chol. That's why people think it some kind of "undocumented
> feature" (bug:)

It is documented in the Help and in the version history.

> At last but not least, but i know you don't agree with me on this,
> maybe if other people could give their opinion on this as well,
> sometimes i just want to check the nusach of the prayer for a specific
> day. So, i don't think you should hide any prayer at all.

That is a valid reason.

> One more thing, several people already asked for it, it would be much
> better to have the siddur settings right into the app itself, instead
> of having to switch to the settings app then back to siddur.
> Sometimes, i just want to enable/disable a feature temporarily (for
> instance the smart siddur), this way is a real a pain.
> There are other app-store apps doing this, so i really don't see why
> you don't.
> For instance, yesterday i used the siddur at mincha, and i noticed the
> kriyat hatorah didn't show :( I'll have to take a look at it. Anyway,
> turning the smart siddur off/on would really be helpful, sometimes.

Agreed, but when we first developed it, Apple said it was "best
practices" to do it in "Settings" not in the app itself. So we coded
tons of hours to get it there. To remove it and move it into the App,
although better, would be a major under taking in time.

> I really appreciate all your effort and together with all the other
> users. Thank you both (including Ronnie) very very much for this
> unique and wonderful siddur.

Thank you!

> I'm in a great lack of time, since a couple of months, so i'll ask
> some more time to get further with the edot hamizrach updates :)

No no, thank you! :)

Joel Hakoune

Jul 11, 2009, 4:21:09 PM7/11/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

On 10/07/2009, at 16:42 , Barry Schwartz wrote:

>>> Joel, that is pretty rude. :) This has been a feature for a long
>>> long
>>> time now. You are just noticing it now? It is not new to 4.0. It
>>> was first introduced with version 3.5 on May 7th, so it has been
>>> "ridiculous" since then.
>>
>> Yes, i know, and i told you about this at that time. However, i
>> didn't
>> get a proper feedback. So, i'm just trying again :)
>
> Sorry if I did not respond, I had a baby around then, so I might have
> missed some emails. Clearly not typical of me or RustyBrick.

Well, you did respond, but it wasn't very focused, now i understand
why :)
Mazel tov for the new little baby! As they say till 120 :)
Is it a boy or a girl? First or do you already have some little
Rustybricks? :)
It's real nice to hear!

>>> We rarely get complaints from observant Jews. Actually, this is the
>>> first complaint we received about this.
>>>
>>> I am not understanding why you care so much? Do you need weekday
>>> Maariv on a Friday morning?
>>>

>> First, it doesn't solve the problem, as they still can play around
>> with the siddur, map, misheberach list, calendar,... So, is it only
>> maariv that bothers you? You're very right, they shouldn't use siddur
>> to pray on shabbos, but they shouldn't use it at all on shabbos. I
>> think you should do it the right way, not just by hiding a prayer or
>> two. So, i think my suggestion would be the best solution to this
>> unbelievable issue.
>
> This is not an "unbelievable issue," really. Apple would likely
> disapprove the app if it didn't work on certain days. Apple is crazy
> with that. Trust me.

Well, i'm not so sure (about the disapproving part). This is meant to
be a set of prayers for chol. Maybe if you change the name to "Siddur
for chol", then they won't be able to say anything.
You still can say: "sometime in the future, we'll add the shabbos
prayers as well", but in the meantime, there is no point to use it on
shabbos...

>> BTW, what about the chagim? So, you'll have to check all these
>> special
>> days. So, again...
>>
>> Also, it doesn't look right, not being able to see some prayers on
>> chol. That's why people think it some kind of "undocumented
>> feature" (bug:)
>
> It is documented in the Help and in the version history.

Well, you don't believe someone reads this stuff, do you :)?

>> At last but not least, but i know you don't agree with me on this,
>> maybe if other people could give their opinion on this as well,
>> sometimes i just want to check the nusach of the prayer for a
>> specific
>> day. So, i don't think you should hide any prayer at all.
>
> That is a valid reason.

So...?

>> One more thing, several people already asked for it, it would be much
>> better to have the siddur settings right into the app itself, instead
>> of having to switch to the settings app then back to siddur.
>> Sometimes, i just want to enable/disable a feature temporarily (for
>> instance the smart siddur), this way is a real a pain.
>> There are other app-store apps doing this, so i really don't see why
>> you don't.
>> For instance, yesterday i used the siddur at mincha, and i noticed
>> the
>> kriyat hatorah didn't show :( I'll have to take a look at it. Anyway,
>> turning the smart siddur off/on would really be helpful, sometimes.
>
> Agreed, but when we first developed it, Apple said it was "best
> practices" to do it in "Settings" not in the app itself. So we coded
> tons of hours to get it there. To remove it and move it into the App,
> although better, would be a major under taking in time.

Well, i think it should have been done a long time ago. As i recall, a
lot of people asked for this one. So, maybe when you get a little
spare time from the newborn ... :)
Really, it would be very helpful. Besides, you mentioned something
before about Apple's being c...

>> I really appreciate all your effort and together with all the other
>> users. Thank you both (including Ronnie) very very much for this
>> unique and wonderful siddur.
>
> Thank you!
>
>> I'm in a great lack of time, since a couple of months, so i'll ask
>> some more time to get further with the edot hamizrach updates :)
>
> No no, thank you! :)

I got something really urgent to accomplish, it will take about a
month or two. I really hope after to spend some time on this updates.

Thanks again.
__________
Regards,
Joel-H.

ya1950

Jul 11, 2009, 4:56:22 PM7/11/09
to iPhone Siddur
Since I started this I just wanted to chime in here - thanks for the
clarifications. I didn't realize that the Siddur responded differently
on Friday, pretty nifty IMHO. Also I did get the calendar to work by
making sure it was held upright. Thanks for your response and keep up
the great work!

Barry Schwartz

Jul 11, 2009, 10:13:23 PM7/11/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com

>>> Yes, i know, and i told you about this at that time. However, i
>>> didn't
>>> get a proper feedback. So, i'm just trying again :)
>>
>> Sorry if I did not respond, I had a baby around then, so I might have
>> missed some emails. Clearly not typical of me or RustyBrick.
>
> Well, you did respond, but it wasn't very focused, now i understand
> why :)
> Mazel tov for the new little baby! As they say till 120 :)
> Is it a boy or a girl? First or do you already have some little
> Rustybricks? :)
> It's real nice to hear!

Girl, my first. RustyBrick has a total of four girl babies now,
amongst our employees. We have some new arrivals on the way, as well.

>>> First, it doesn't solve the problem, as they still can play around
>>> with the siddur, map, misheberach list, calendar,... So, is it only
>>> maariv that bothers you? You're very right, they shouldn't use
>>> siddur
>>> to pray on shabbos, but they shouldn't use it at all on shabbos. I
>>> think you should do it the right way, not just by hiding a prayer or
>>> two. So, i think my suggestion would be the best solution to this
>>> unbelievable issue.
>>
>> This is not an "unbelievable issue," really. Apple would likely
>> disapprove the app if it didn't work on certain days. Apple is crazy
>> with that. Trust me.
>
> Well, i'm not so sure (about the disapproving part). This is meant to
> be a set of prayers for chol. Maybe if you change the name to "Siddur
> for chol", then they won't be able to say anything.
> You still can say: "sometime in the future, we'll add the shabbos
> prayers as well", but in the meantime, there is no point to use it on
> shabbos...

Still, Apple doesn't understand that.

>>> BTW, what about the chagim? So, you'll have to check all these
>>> special
>>> days. So, again...
>>>
>>> Also, it doesn't look right, not being able to see some prayers on
>>> chol. That's why people think it some kind of "undocumented
>>> feature" (bug:)
>>
>> It is documented in the Help and in the version history.
>
> Well, you don't believe someone reads this stuff, do you :)?

Doesn't everyone? :)

>>> At last but not least, but i know you don't agree with me on this,
>>> maybe if other people could give their opinion on this as well,
>>> sometimes i just want to check the nusach of the prayer for a
>>> specific
>>> day. So, i don't think you should hide any prayer at all.
>>
>> That is a valid reason.
>
> So...?

Not sure. :)

>>> One more thing, several people already asked for it, it would be
>>> much
>>> better to have the siddur settings right into the app itself,
>>> instead
>>> of having to switch to the settings app then back to siddur.
>>> Sometimes, i just want to enable/disable a feature temporarily (for
>>> instance the smart siddur), this way is a real a pain.
>>> There are other app-store apps doing this, so i really don't see why
>>> you don't.
>>> For instance, yesterday i used the siddur at mincha, and i noticed
>>> the
>>> kriyat hatorah didn't show :( I'll have to take a look at it.
>>> Anyway,
>>> turning the smart siddur off/on would really be helpful, sometimes.
>>
>> Agreed, but when we first developed it, Apple said it was "best
>> practices" to do it in "Settings" not in the app itself. So we coded
>> tons of hours to get it there. To remove it and move it into the
>> App,
>> although better, would be a major under taking in time.
>
> Well, i think it should have been done a long time ago. As i recall, a
> lot of people asked for this one. So, maybe when you get a little
> spare time from the newborn ... :)
> Really, it would be very helpful. Besides, you mentioned something
> before about Apple's being c...

Maybe one day...

>>> I really appreciate all your effort and together with all the other
>>> users. Thank you both (including Ronnie) very very much for this
>>> unique and wonderful siddur.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>>> I'm in a great lack of time, since a couple of months, so i'll ask
>>> some more time to get further with the edot hamizrach updates :)
>>
>> No no, thank you! :)
>>

> I got something really urgent to accomplish, it will take about a
> month or two. I really hope after to spend some time on this updates.

No rush...