Zmanim Alarm -- Suggestion

Yochanan

Jun 30, 2009, 1:56:41 AM6/30/09
to iPhone Siddur
It would be great if you could program the Siddur to have an optional
alarm for zmanim. So, if someone wants to be reminded about Sof Zman
K'rias Shema, for example, they can enter a time the alarm will go
off. I.E. They can input that they want the alarm to go off 30
minutes before their local Sof Zman K'rias Shema (and the same is true
of all zmanim during regular weekdays - Sof Z'man Tefillah, Plag,
etc.). Simply by having the zmanim on the current location, the user
should be able to enter a given amount of time prior to the zman and
have the alarm go off automatically then. Just as an exmaple: If in
Los Angeles, Sof Zman K'rias Shema would be at 9:25 AM. Simply by
entering 30 minutes prior in the Siddur alarm tab, the alarm will
automatically go off at 8:55 AM with the note that Sof Zman K'rias
Shema is in 30 minutes.

This would be a great addition and can really be of benefit.

Thanks for your interest,
Yochanan

Barry Schwartz

Jun 30, 2009, 6:08:25 AM6/30/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
That suggestion was submitted at http://moderator.appspot.com/#15/
e=134a0&t=6c853

Please go vote on it, if you really want it. :)

Yochanan

Jun 30, 2009, 8:56:56 PM6/30/09
to iPhone Siddur
Will it cover all zmanim, as I wrote - with an alarm of the user-
entered amount of time prior to any zmanim (i.e. Krias Shema, Sof Zman
Tefillah, etc.) - or just be limited to the other suggestion - A
reminder for shkia?:

"Add a user specified reminder for mincha and maariv. For example, one
could have a reminder 15 minutes before shkia to daven mincha."

Yochanan

On Jun 30, 3:08 am, Barry Schwartz <ba...@rustybrick.com> wrote:
> That suggestion was submitted athttp://moderator.appspot.com/#15/

Barry Schwartz

Jun 30, 2009, 9:02:14 PM6/30/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com
Probably all zmanim, why not.

yehuda

Jul 1, 2009, 9:21:23 PM7/1/09
to iPhone Siddur
how do we vote? I definitely want it.

On Jun 30, 6:08 am, Barry Schwartz <ba...@rustybrick.com> wrote:
> That suggestion was submitted athttp://moderator.appspot.com/#15/
> > Yochanan- Hide quoted text -

Yochanan

Jul 9, 2009, 8:41:59 PM7/9/09
to iPhone Siddur
I just added the suggestion. It can be found at http://moderator.appspot.com/#8/e=134a0
. I would recommend that everyone votes for it. If someone is on an
outing, for example, even though they have their Siddur in their iPod/
iPhone, they might get caught up in something and inadvertently miss
the zman. This reminder can go off - perhaps with an audible alarm in
addition to the reminder (i.e. "You have 30 minutes remaining until
Sof Zman Krias Shema). The reminder would be based on the current
location selected, so if someone's presently location is automatically
updated, they would know the time they have remaining for the given
zman. This addition would really be priceless. (There is another
suggestion for a reminder 15 minutes prior to Mincha and Ma'ariv, but
my suggestion would take care of that suggestion as well, as it is
meant to be all-encompassing for all of the weekday zmanim listed,
including סוף זמן קריאת שמע ותפילה, plag haMincha, and anything
else). :-)

All of those who voted on the Mincha/Ma'ariv reminder, can vote for
this. A vote for this suggestion is a vote for that suggestion as
well, with many more options. http://moderator.appspot.com/#8/e=134a0

The suggestion is:

"An optional alarm for all zmanim. Allows the user to choose any
weekday zmanim (such as Sof Zman Krias shema), and displays a reminder
appearing in advance of that zman by an inputted amount of time. The
reminder lists the zman and time to the zman."

Barry, I have this suggestion available since it offers more options
than the Mincha reminder - which is a very important suggestion on its
own, and therefore can further benefit users.

Yochanan

Yochanan

Jul 9, 2009, 8:44:05 PM7/9/09
to iPhone Siddur
The alarm would just be a sound. The wording reminder would list the
zman and time remaining.

On Jul 9, 5:41 pm, Yochanan <shmi...@mailshack.com> wrote:
> I just added the suggestion.  It can be found athttp://moderator.appspot.com/#8/e=134a0
> .  I would recommend that everyone votes for it.  If someone is on an
> outing, for example, even though they have their Siddur in their iPod/
> iPhone, they might get caught up in something and inadvertently miss
> the zman.  This reminder can go off - perhaps with an audible alarm in
> addition to the reminder (i.e. "You have 30 minutes remaining until
> Sof Zman Krias Shema).  The reminder would be based on the current
> location selected, so if someone's presently location is automatically
> updated, they would know the time they have remaining for the given
> zman.  This addition would really be priceless.  (There is another
> suggestion for a reminder 15 minutes prior to Mincha and Ma'ariv, but
> my suggestion would take care of that suggestion as well, as it is
> meant to be all-encompassing for all of the weekday zmanim listed,
> including סוף זמן קריאת שמע ותפילה, plag haMincha, and anything
> else). :-)
>
> All of those who voted on the Mincha/Ma'ariv reminder, can vote for
> this.  A vote for this suggestion is a vote for that suggestion as
> well, with many more options.http://moderator.appspot.com/#8/e=134a0

Barry Schwartz

Jul 9, 2009, 8:44:23 PM7/9/09
to iphone...@googlegroups.com, iPhone Siddur