Should we revive this group ?

praseedp

Aug 1, 2011, 11:30:19 PM8/1/11
to IPGOFKERALA
Hi all ,

I got caught up in an issue which was deeply personal for me and I
could not spent time on moderating this group. I still feel , there is
necessity of a group like that of ours. ( Just take a look at the
contents : It discusses Alternate Languages,Cross Platform
programming , Language Level Concurrency , Technical Nostalgia and
other conceptual topics )

Currently , I am going through a wonderful book titled "DSLs in
Action". IMHO, this book clearly explains the intent , lingo and
practice of this programming model.

Recently , I came across a tool which helps test content developers
write test cases without the help of programmmers ( of course ,
programmers has to write the scripts ! ) . This was a XML based
Declarative Test scenario authoring tool. This is a great productivity
boost.

Can you people share your thoughts on DSL ?

regards
Praseed Pai

Hari K T

Aug 2, 2011, 2:50:08 AM8/2/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Praseed ,

Hope you are doing great .

I am not so sure about the DSL . But for testing tools we have phpunit , simpletest for php to write tests . And selinium for automated testing .

Are they what you saw ? Or something different . I am interested to here more about it .

Hari K T
M: +91-9388758821 | W: http://harikt.com
kthari85   kthari85  kthari85

praseedp

Aug 2, 2011, 10:49:44 PM8/2/11
to IPGOFKERALA
Hi Hari ,

DSL stands for Domain Specific Language. This is slightly different
from general purpose programming languages like C,C++,Perl , Python
etc. The DSLs are languages which can solve problems
in a particular domain like Payroll processing , Circuit Simulation ,
Finance etc.

Some examples of known DSLs are
SQL - Database Queries
HTML - content presentation
CSS - styling Web pages

I was mentioning a testing tool which is a DSL created by a company.
They use XML syntax to specify the operations

Apache ANT , GNU Make are other examples of DSLs

regards
Praseed Pai

On Aug 2, 11:50 am, Hari K T <kthar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Praseed ,
>
> Hope you are doing great .
>
> I am not so sure about the DSL . But for testing tools we have phpunit ,
> simpletest for php to write tests . And selinium for automated testing .
>
> Are they what you saw ? Or something different . I am interested to here
> more about it .
>
> *Hari K T
> *M:+91-9388758821begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +91-9388758821      end_of_the_skype_highlighting| W:http://harikt.com
> * kthari85   kthari85  kthari85*
>

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM, praseedp <prase...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all ,
>
> >    I got caught up in an issue which was deeply personal for me and I
> > could not spent time on moderating this group. I still feel , there is
> > necessity of a group like that of ours. ( Just take a look at the
> > contents : It discusses  Alternate Languages,Cross Platform
> > programming  ,  Language Level Concurrency , Technical Nostalgia and
> > other conceptual topics )
>
> > Currently , I am going through a wonderful book titled "DSLs in
> > Action". IMHO, this book clearly explains the intent , lingo and
> > practice of this programming model.
>
> > Recently , I came across a tool which helps test content developers
> > write test cases without the help of programmmers ( of course ,
> > programmers has to write the scripts ! ) . This was a XML based
> > Declarative Test scenario authoring tool. This is a great productivity
> > boost.
>
> > Can you people share your thoughts on DSL ?
>
> > regards
> > Praseed Pai- Hide quoted text -

Anoop Madhusudanan

Aug 3, 2011, 12:02:15 AM8/3/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com

We had developed some graphical DSLs on top of Watin, for authoring test cases easily. It was kind of useful, how ever, the usability of Graphical dsls are still under debate.

Personally I think text based DSLs has more value, and did some digging on platforms like boo (http://www.manning.com/rahien/) earlier.

Thanks a lot,
Anoop

Ashok Shenoy

Aug 3, 2011, 12:36:17 AM8/3/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com

Hi Praseed

In current times software development is more of a commercial activity than a intrllectual one. No point
Continuing this group

Hari K T

Aug 3, 2011, 1:17:22 AM8/3/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Aaah I had a look on Apache Ant some months ( probably some years ) back. It needs some configurations in XML. Also if I remember it exactly , its a Java based one . There is another one called Phing .

About the group, what in Kerala misses is a strong techie group. Many of the people are interested to make money only . They don't love or not trying to explore what it give . I don't think we need to drop this group. Lets move on , as in the free time we can have some conversations like the new things we learn , and so and so to make us fresh .

Hari K T
M: +91-9388758821 | W: http://harikt.com
kthari85   kthari85  kthari85

Vishnu Gopal

Aug 5, 2011, 3:14:18 PM8/5/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hello Praseed,

Nice to hear from you again. Hope you are well!

Regarding DSLs, Ruby is a wonderful language to cook up mini-DSLs in. I just spent the last month writing one to parse USSD responses.

Also gave a related talk at Rubyconf this year: http://www.slideshare.net/vishnu/easy-compilers-with-ruby-and-treetop

Good to see activity in this group!

Cheers,
Vishnu

--
  Vishnu Gopal
  vishnugopal.com

Hari K T

Aug 5, 2011, 8:13:08 PM8/5/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Wow nice slides and congrats that you are one among the 2 speakers in India .

Hari K T
M: +91-9388758821 | W: http://harikt.com
kthari85   kthari85  kthari85

Praseed Pai

Aug 5, 2011, 11:25:11 PM8/5/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vishnu ,

    I  did go through your Slides and really like the treetop approach. These slides are more relevant for me now as I am currently sifting through the book , DSLs in Action.

I consider Ruby approach as "executable BNF" and it is some kind of internal DSL. I think ,
some day you should take this as a session in a technical meetup.

regards
Praseed Pai

Vishnu Gopal

Aug 6, 2011, 10:02:47 AM8/6/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hari: this was Rubyconf India :) Perhaps some day one of us will present at _the_ Rubyconf.

Cheers,
Vishnu

--
  Vishnu Gopal
  vishnugopal.com

Hari K T

Aug 6, 2011, 10:34:22 AM8/6/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Good Luck man ... Let it happen .
Was looking your active record implementation in PHP 5.3 . I feel its not complete right ? I mean relationships and all .

Hari K T
M: +91-9388758821 | W: http://harikt.com
kthari85   kthari85  kthari85

Vishnu Gopal

Aug 6, 2011, 2:09:47 PM8/6/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com, ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Yup, that was just some fun stuff for playing around :)

-----
Vishnu Gopal

CTO
MobME Wireless Solutions (P) Ltd

From my iPhone: +91 9846 819 066

Ashok Shenoy

Aug 7, 2011, 5:42:36 AM8/7/11
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com

Is this a group of inventors, innovators or scientists?

I am into designing products using hardware/software...any one into this area???