SCALA Vs ROR

Sreejumon KP

Dec 14, 2010, 12:50:37 PM12/14/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hello Friends,

Anyone worked on both Scala and Ruby, If yes how do you compare them ?  Any experience to share those apps deployment on Google App Engine?

Regards
Sreejumon

Technikhil Account

Dec 21, 2010, 2:11:05 AM12/21/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sreejumon,
    I may be wrong about this since I haven't looked at GAE of late but my understanding is that GAE supports only Python (and that also only upto version 2.5) and Java. I don't think Ruby is supported on Google App Engine.  Scala being a language built on top of the Java VM might be a better bet than RoR if deployment to GAE is your goal.

Thanks and Regards
Nikhil K Nair

ashik salahudeen

Dec 21, 2010, 2:48:31 AM12/21/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
Actually, there are Lift applications being run on GAE. The thing is,
if you are planning to use actors and such threading related stuff (
especially Lift framework ) then you might run into troubles over GAE.

http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/24b36f157f8ea6d2

thats a good discussion to read up

--
aashik

NotAQuote - Carmack _and_ Zawinski says sharing code is badass. I agree.

Sreejumon KP

Dec 21, 2010, 2:50:20 AM12/21/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
I decided to go with web2py ;)

ashik salahudeen

Dec 21, 2010, 3:51:42 AM12/21/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering - since java works, JRuby should also work :-? So I
did a quick google - look what i found :

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/wiki/WillItPlayInJava

Technikhil Account

Dec 22, 2010, 3:33:44 AM12/22/10
to ipgof...@googlegroups.com