teredo usage?

Peter Moody

Jan 7, 2011, 11:01:01 PM1/7/11
to ipaddr-py-dev
Issue72 is about adding support to ipaddr to have it automatically pull out teredo embedded client and server addresses from a v6 address. I've attached a pretty minimal patch to add this support (Rietveld isn't liking me right, so I can't use upload.py), but before I commit it, how popular is teredo? I'd prefer not to needlessly clutter ipaddr.

So, thoughts?

Cheers,
peter

--
Peter Moody      Google    1.650.253.7306
Network Security Engineer  pgp:0xC3410038

ipaddr.i71.patch

Matthew Flanagan

Jan 8, 2011, 1:33:39 AM1/8/11
to ipaddr-py-dev
On Jan 8, 3:01 pm, Peter Moody <pmo...@google.com> wrote:
> Issue72 is about adding support to ipaddr to have it automatically pull out
> teredo embedded client and server addresses from a v6 address. I've attached
> a pretty minimal patch to add this support (Rietveld isn't liking me right,
> so I can't use upload.py), but before I commit it, how popular is teredo?
> I'd prefer not to needlessly clutter ipaddr.
>
> So, thoughts?

Hi Peter,

Teredo is currently the least common of the tunneling protocols
according to research done by APNIC [1]. Given that it is mostly used
by Microsoft OSes that may change as IPv6 becomes more widely adopted.
If you decide to include it you should verify the addresses starts
with 2001. I'd probably add an equivalent method for 6to4 as well.

[1] www.potaroo.net/presentations/2010-08-20-ipv6-measuring.ppt

regards

Matthew