Central Iowa Sampler 600K this weekend

Central Iowa Randonneurs

May 30, 2023, 8:17:21 PM5/30/23
to Central Iowa Randonneurs
Greetings randonneurs!

Our last scheduled ride of the 2023 season takes place this coming Saturday. We'll be doing a new version of an old route: the "Central Iowa Sampler 600K". What's new about it?
  • The route has been restructured into a somewhat shorter first day and consequent longer second day. The later controls on the first day were difficult to get to before the convenience stores closed so if it's hot (and it's forecast to be pretty warm) getting adequate fluids is problematic for slower riders.
  • The first day no longer does the out and back to Audubon. Since that leg is fairly hilly the new route has about 800 feet less climbing.
The revised route is on the web site so make sure that's the one you download to your GPS and/or the cue sheet you use.

Right now the forecast is looking pretty good so regardless of whether you're trying to get that last PBP qualifier done, finish off a Super Randonneur series or just want to have a nice ride this one fits the bill.

We'll meet at the front of the Quality Inn in Ames, 2601 E. 13th St. The ride starts promptly at 05:00 but please be there at least 20 minutes early to get checked in.

Lights and reflective gear are required for this ride. See the RUSA reflectivity guidelines for more details.

Here are our ride procedures, please review them carefully and don't hesitate to ask any questions before the ride:
  • The ride will start at the posted start time. You can start up to an hour later but the clock starts ticking at 05:00
  • Our rides are paperless. We'll use Electronic Proof of Passage (EPP) for all rides. Cue sheets are available via the ridewithgps route on the web site for you to print.
  • If you'd like to have a souvenir brevet card, they are available on the web site for you to print (card stock paper recommended!). Complete your card during the ride, enter the time and sign it. You will receive a certification number available on the RUSA site after I post results that you can add to your card.
  • You will receive an email from me no later than Monday following the ride requesting your EPP. This will be a link to the Strava , Garmin Connect or Ridewithgps file for your ride. Make sure the ride is marked public so that I can see your results and please reply promptly. If you haven't received this email by Tuesday morning check your spam folder.
  • It is strongly recommended that you take time stamped photos at all controls (including the start and finish) as a backup should you have GPS problems. I will accept these as an alternative or you can upload them to your Strava/Ridewithgps account and attach them to your ride.
Look forward to seeing you there!