PBP route planning and sleeping arrangements

Steve Polyak

Jan 18, 2023, 11:38:22 AM1/18/23
to Central Iowa Randonneurs
All,

Anyone have advice on 2023 PBP route planning, e.g. what might be a logical day to day distance plan and lining that up with sleeping locations? I chose the 90hr slot (i think i am in like group G). What do people typically do for sleeping arrangements? I understand that control points offer "primitive sleeping" accommodations. Are there other/better options? How do I go about finding/reserving rooms if that is even something that is typically done? I tried to book a room the night before the ride at  https://www.hotel-rambouillet.com/en/ (night of August 19th) but it appears this hotel isn't accepting reservations for that time. Any advice appreciated.

Steve

driftlessrandos

Jan 18, 2023, 10:04:16 PM1/18/23
to Central Iowa Randonneurs
Hi Steve,

I hate to be discouraging but at this point the pickings are going to be very slim as far as lodging is concerned at the start/finish and anywhere along the route. I started looking a year ago and everything within 10K of Loudeac was already booked. I was able to make a reservation in Rambouillet by calling directly but I did that a year ago (January 8th as a matter of fact).

Having said that, there are still some options that you can pursue:
  • post on the RUSA google group that you're looking for a place to sleep on the route (I'd suggest being specific - "within x of y") and you might get lucky that somebody has an apartment or similar with an extra bed (or floor) space they're willing to share.
  • You can overnight at the controls. Per the other post in this group, a bag drop service is being offered. You could get a bag taken e.g., to Loudeac and use it to have clean clothes, shower necessities, etc (pro tip: pack a roll of toilet paper!). The downside of using the controls is that you'll be vying with 8000 of your soon to be closest friends for bed space so if you're "on the bulge" you may have to wait a while for shower, bed, etc.
And of course you can always check the various lodging services (booking.com, Expedia, ...) on a daily basis. A lot of people book rooms planning to go then change their plans and drop out for various reasons. You might get lucky.

It's also possible if you have support (someone with a car) to get lodging farther afield. Your support person can meet you at one of the designated controls (within 5K of the control according to the rules), take you to your lodging and bring you back the next morning. Per the rules of randonneuring you must leave/enter the route at the same point and note that the ACP is very strict about personal support vehicles (must be registered, can't be on the route itself, ...). If you pursue this option be sure to read the rules very carefully. It also goes without saying that you'll burn time going to/from your lodging so there is a point of diminishing returns versus staying at the control.

As to laying out the ride distances, that's highly dependent on you and how long you think you can ride. At PBP 2019, I was in group J (6:30 PM start, 90 hour time limit) and my ride was set up as follows:
  • day 1: Rambouillet -> Loudeac 278 miles
  • day 2: Loudeac->Brest->Loudeac 209 miles
  • day 3: Loudeac->Mortagne 196 miles
  • day 4: Mortagne->Rambouillet 76 miles
As things turned out, when I got to Mortagne at about 21:00, I felt pretty good and strongly considered continuing on to the finish. I ultimately decided against it since I had a place to stay near Mortagne plus the fact that I'd get to Rambouillet at around 02:00 with no place to sleep (I had a hotel room but not until the afternoon).

Based on that, it's POSSIBLE to just do a drop bag to Loudeac that you can access on the way out and the retour providing you have a place (or are willing to ditch nap on the floor) when you get to the finish.

Good luck!

rgw...@aol.com

Jan 19, 2023, 8:18:01 AM1/19/23
to driftle...@gmail.com, iowa-...@googlegroups.com
Greg & Steve,

Finding a room in or near Rambouillet is very difficult at this point, but take a look at the train route coming from Paris, go back 2-3-4 stops and check out hotels in these small towns. In 2019 Dan Diehn and I found a very comfortable twin room 4 stops from Rambouillet that worked out really well.  The 4 stops to Rambouillet took 20-25 minutes, not a problem.  Trains don't run all night but if you finish in the middle of the night you can sleep at the finish (on some hard mats) if you have to until the trains start up.

Also, when you get on the road have a look farther out on the course, past Loudeac for places to stay.  Rooms in Carhaix or Brest may be available. This might require rethinking your riding plan, but it does open up some possibilities.  Take a look at the PBP rider timing chart that shows when the biggest bubbles roll through an area and try to be there before or after this, if possible.

Sometimes you just have to keep going until the right opportunity comes along.  On day 3 in 2019, I was putzing along, very tired from trying to keep up with Keith Morical and just wanted to get to the next control, sleep a little at the dorms then finish. It was 10p and I was 40km from the last control before the finish. I pulled into a private yard with tables of snacks and drinks put on by a local family for the rider.  The woman of the house took a look at me and my recently acquired riding partner RIchard Burnside (from Wisconsin), and asked if we would like a place to sleep for a few hours.  Next to their property was an old fire station with a big room set up with 10-20 beds, with blankets. We had a great sleep and cruised into Rambouillet the next morning and really enjoyed the cheering crowd in the last few miles.

Cheers.

Rob

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/iowa-randos/405d2b8c-a6d9-46bb-bb06-043f72cc96c6n%40googlegroups.com
.

driftlessrandos

Jan 19, 2023, 8:22:09 AM1/19/23
to Central Iowa Randonneurs
Rob makes an excellent point that I'll generalize: your planning for PBP at this point has to include a large dose of flexibility. You may need to ride farther (or less) than you otherwise might have wanted to, be prepared to take advantage of hospitality or sleeping spots at unexpected points on the route by having some necessities with you, etc. The French are very accommodating and understanding about riders strewn all over (I recall a woman weaving her way through a crowd of riders sleeping on the floor at an enclosed ATM) and their hospitality shouldn't be underestimated.

In the end, if you do your best to put together a plan before you go but with the preparation needed to take advantage of "windfalls" on the route you'll get it done and have an amazing experience.