Can you make 2 calls today for immigrant workers? ... message from IA City CW

1 view

Frank Cordaro

Sep 29, 2021, 9:37:37 AM9/29/21
to Iowa Peace List
"To me there is only one way to be a Catholic, and that is out in the public arena, doing something," - Ana Garcia Ashley, Executive Director, Gamaliel Foundation

Dear friends and workers,

All of us have been hit hard by the COVD-19 pandemic. And every day over the past 18 months, thousands of essential workers risked their health and safety to make sure we got food, healthcare, transportation, education and shelter - all the things we need to live.

Many of these frontline workers, though, have been excluded or left out of pandemic relief measures. We can change that!

Johnson County and Iowa City are getting nearly $50 million in federal funds - through the American Rescue Plan - to help people recover from the pandemic. This includes people - like essential workers, immigrant workers - who've been hurt the most and risked the most to keep our communities going. But current proposals from Johnson County and Iowa City aren't big enough. They're too small to deliver the relief we need.

CALL:
And tell them:
  • Iowa City and Johnson County should put at least $15 million in an Excluded Workers Fund - direct aid and hazard pay should go to the essential, frontline and excluded workers who have risked their health to keep our communities going during the pandemic.

  • Streamline the application process so that aid goes directly to the people - the 3 basic requirements for aid should be proof of residency, proof of identity, and a self-certification of need.
What we do with American Rescue Plan relief money can redefine our communities for years to come. Make your voice heard!

Can you drop us a note after you've made your calls and let us know how they went?

Thanks for all you do and God bless you,

Emily, David, and the Catholic Worker House team

Iowa City Catholic Worker