Google's new Privacy as of this spring

Mary McCleary

Aug 10, 2012, 10:26:00 AM8/10/12
to iowa-google-apps-group
I was wondering what other districts are doing now that Google has excluded out of core products from the privacy policy.
In the documentation and articles I have seen, if you enable out of core products such as Blogger and Picassa, you will essentially tell Google that you are allowing third party mining of data and addresses.  Very bad as we have student accounts!

http://thejournal.com/articles/2012/02/15/googles-apps-for-education-and-the-new-privacy-policy.aspx

I have turned off the out of core apps which has angered some teachers, but I'm more worried about complying with FERPA and COPPA.
I would love to hear what other districts are doing in response to this change.

Mary McCleary
North Scott Community Schools

Stacy Behmer

Aug 13, 2012, 1:00:17 PM8/13/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mary,
I wanted to go back and get some clarification from Google about this and here is what the Google's VP of Enterprise, Amit Singh said about it:

“Enterprise customers using Google Apps for Government, Business or Education have individual contracts that define how we handle and store their data. As always, Google will maintain our enterprise customers’ data in compliance with the confidentiality and security obligations provided to their domain. The new Privacy Policy does not change our contractual agreements, which have always superseded Google’s Privacy Policy for enterprise customers.”

-Stacy

Stacy L. Behmer
Coordinator of Digital Learning, Grant Wood AEA
Twitter: sbehmer
Skype: stacy.behmer
Google Voice: 319.438.2317
Google Apps for EDU Certified Trainer & Certified Teacher

"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." -Roger Lewin

Contact me: Google Talk sbe...@gmail.com Skype stacy.behmer
Twitter Latest tweet: Create & Add an Apple Touch Icon to a Google Site - YouTube http://t.co/rclVCA09 Pretty Cool video by @jonathanwylie #aaetech #gpsummit
  Get this email app!
My QR VCard
Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

Mary McCleary

Aug 14, 2012, 8:35:58 AM8/14/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com

Stacy,

Is there a copy of the contract for us to look at?

And does it specifically say, out of core apps will be covered???  I’m having bad feelings with Google and want to make sure before we open up out of core products.  I do not see his answer as any clearer than all the warnings against Google.

Sorry,

I’m a pessimist some times.

Mary