Passwords

Mark Huppert

May 14, 2012, 12:51:17 PM5/14/12
to central...@googlegroups.com, iowa-google...@googlegroups.com
Group,

Please forgive the cross posting.

We have issued GAPE accounts for all of our students grade 4-12 and may be adding 3rd grade next year. It has been a wonderful set of collaborative tools for all of our grade levels. I am anticipating a large number (most of grades 4-8 actually) of our students forgetting their log in password by the beginning of the next school year. Do any of you have a reliable way of resetting passwords that will lessen my burden? At the moment, when a student forgets their password, they visit me, I set their password to a generic password, and check the "change password on next log in" box and life is better. This works for a few students at a time, but could be rather time intensive after a long break. I am currently the only admin of any kind for our GAPE.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
===========
Mark D. Huppert
Technology Coordinator
Central Decatur Schools
1201 NE Poplar
Leon, Iowa 50144

Phone   641-446-4816
FAX      641-446-7990

e-mail:        mark.h...@centraldecatur.org
===========
Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§2510-2521 and contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not review, use, disclose, distribute, copy, or forward this email.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete/destroy any and all copies of the original message.
===========

Paup, Lori

May 14, 2012, 12:57:00 PM5/14/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com
There is a App you can download called "Sherpa Tools".  I have heard that this is way to do bulk changes.  You may want to check it out.  It is in the Google Apps Marketplace.

Lori Paup
Technology Director

East Union Community School District  1916 High School Dr.,  Afton, IA 50830
Office:  641.347.8421 x5705    Cell: 641.745.7682   Fax:  641.347.5514

Joe Francis

May 14, 2012, 1:04:28 PM5/14/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com, central...@googlegroups.com
I have had to do this. I create a spreadsheet with the needed fields-email address, first name, last name, and password. I fill the password field with a generic password.
I go to Organizations and Users in the Dashboard and select More Actions-Bulk Upload Users.
In 2, you may select to create new accounts or update existing accounts and require a password change. I perform a data pull from our SIS and select all three options in 2. This will create new accounts for anyone new to the district that was missed by hand.

I have done this several times for lower grades and it works very well.
Joe

Jason Kurth

May 14, 2012, 1:04:30 PM5/14/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com, central...@googlegroups.com
You can assign teacher-librarians, lab teachers, secretaries, and others to be able to reset passwords.  (Roles & Privileges)

Diane Nitzel

May 14, 2012, 1:57:17 PM5/14/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com
What I did with our younger students, and may wish I had done this with the older ones is I use the last two digits of their graduation year, their first and last initial and then their student ID number.  That way I or a teacher could figure out their password without too much trouble.  It's not as secure but less of an administrative hassle.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Mark Huppert <mark.h...@centraldecatur.org> wrote:

--

Diane Nitzel

"Everything you do, everything you say, everything you think should be for love of God and love of neighbor--everything, everything! Always to build up, never to tear down. If you live this way, you will be living in God's Will." ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

Diane Nitzel
Technology Coordinator
St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School
7075 Ashworth Rd.