[!]One more time - What are you doing with the new privacy issue

Mary McCleary

Nov 20, 2012, 10:16:14 AM11/20/12
to iowa-google...@googlegroups.com
I sent this out earlier this year, and Stacy did reply with the statement from Google.
But, what that statement left out, that the privacy agreement with education  is ONLY for the core suite.
Not for Blogger, Not for Picasa, Not for Google +.  Even in their agreement that is found on the main AEA website shows the discrepancy.

So again, what are the other district doing as far as, 1. Are you sticking to only the core suite of apps? or 2. You are using non core apps, and if you are, how are you covering yourselves for FERPA?
I have attached a file that is my cause for not using these non-suite apps, but I have teachers that want to use them.  I would ask for a letter in my personal file exempting me from responsibility if information is harvested and used from a student account.  Here in our AEA, the districts are split.  Some refuse to open the apps up, the other half are on a "We'll use it and see what happens".

These two links from our "Agreement" takes you to the spot that says, essentially, if you use these, you open all your information up to mining.

I would like to know how other districts in Iowa are interpreting this.  I see a BIG issue if we have a student account mined.

Mary

Google's Apps for Education and the New Privacy Policy.pdf