Code for Vernier Probes

Robert Belford

Mar 31, 2020, 5:19:47 AM3/31/20
to ios...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I know several people on this list have run Vernier Probes with Raspberry Pis and I am trying to get a bearing as to who has done what.  I created a document in the "Code Group" folder called "Agenda" (for a lack of a better name) that I would like to use to help organize things.

If you have run Vernier probes on a Pi, would you be kind enough to jot down the language the code was in, who you are, and how many probes you could simultaneously run (Phil, please make sure what I wrote is right, and forgive my jotting your stuff down).

It is not at all my intention to align our objectives with one technology, but many schools (K-16) across the country use Vernier technologies, and it is my intention to shortly contact them and see if they are interested in supporting some of the efforts of this Google group, as in principle, many schools could deploy the probes they already own as early as May, when the first summer sessions start, and we got to start somewhere.

The real purpose of the Code Agenda document is to identify coding initiatives, and this could be one of them.

I also want to comment that I had a very interesting talk with Charles Xie who has joined this group, in that IOT can go both ways.  That is, I was thinking students run labs and stream data to an instructor dashboard, thus getting hands on experience, but the instructor can also stream data to students in real time, especially if the nature of the instrumentation precluded students having remote access.  I know UALR wants me to teach gen chem 1 with a lab section in 7 weeks, and Charles's scenario may be the only way we can pull it off in 7 weeks, where the TA streams the data to the class in real time.  Now Charles is thinking of much bigger things, and I hope he, and the other members of this group feel free to post their ideas, and through this group we can build collaborations.

I also hope we have time to tackle them, as things are just too busy.

Please, if you have any experience running Vernier probes with Raspberry Pis would you contribute to the above Google doc?

Cheers and thanks,
Bob
Bob

--