Invitation to review QARTOD 2022-2026 plan, by 2/28 please

Mark Bushnell - IOOS consultant

Feb 1, 2022, 3:08:19 PM2/1/22
to Josie Quintrell, Debra Hernandez, Jorge Brenner, Gerhard Kuska, Sheyna Wisdom, Julio Morell, Jake Kritzer, Jan Newton, Melissa Iwamoto, Kelli Paige, Clarissa Anderson, Henry Ruhl, _NOS IOOS DMAC Announcements, ioos...@googlegroups.com, Kathy Bailey, Mathew Biddle, James Behrens, Julie Bosch, Eugene Burger, Mark Bushnell, Jennifer Dorton, Regina Easley, Karen Grissom, Robert Heitsenrether, Bob Jensen, Mario Tamburri, Christoph Waldmann, Helen Worthington, Emmanual Boss, Guilherme Castelão, Hassan Moustahfid, Megan Kot, Ross Timmerman
Hello RA Directors, DMAC members, and SMEs,

The QARTOD project is now ten years old under U.S. IOOS. We’re reviewing and updating the 2017-2021 project plan, which has served us very well but was crafted in what now seems to be a very different time.

The internet tells me we should expect these characteristics of a ten-year old: demonstrates improved agility, speed, coordination, and balance; has a better sense of who they are in the world; prefers to work in groups and enjoys cooperative activities; is often acutely aware of social divisions; has more sophisticated moral reasoning so they can consider possible justifications for exceptions to laws and rules; and engages in new kinds of problem solving. Sounds like QARTOD to me!

The attached document: a) summarizes the origins of QARTOD, b) reviews the accomplishments of the past five years, and c) provides plan updates for the next five years. The initial draft was created with the help of a small working group formed specifically for the task, and that draft has been reviewed by the QARTOD Board of Advisors - many thanks to these individuals for their help! We’d love to hear your thoughts on the whole document, but we’re especially interested in feedback on the new activities described on pages 15 – 17.

It is our intention to expand the scope of the QARTOD Project beyond the present tight focus on real-time quality control. To become relevant to a broader community and applicable to more of the core variables, we propose using QARTOD to help develop quality assurance / quality control standard processes applicable to "timely" data. Several examples are provided in the plan.

We look forward to hearing your ideas on ways to make QARTOD more useful and relevant to your activities, by February 28th if possible. And we thank you very much for your assistance during the past ten successful years!

Best regards,
Mark Bushnell
National Coordinator, US IOOS/QARTOD, https://ioos.noaa.gov/project/qartod
IOC / Ocean Best Practices System Steering Group, https://www.oceanbestpractices.org/

QARTOD Project Plan Update 2022-2026 v0.9.docx

Mark Bushnell - IOOS consultant

Mar 3, 2022, 7:08:47 PM3/3/22
to Josie Quintrell, Debra Hernandez, Jorge Brenner, Gerhard Kuska, Sheyna Wisdom, Julio Morell, Jake Kritzer, Jan Newton, Melissa Iwamoto, Kelli Paige, Clarissa Anderson, Henry Ruhl, _NOS IOOS DMAC Announcements, ioos...@googlegroups.com, Kathy Bailey, Mathew Biddle, James Behrens, Julie Bosch, Eugene Burger, Jennifer Dorton, Regina Easley, Karen Grissom, Robert Heitsenrether, Bob Jensen, Mario Tamburri, Christoph Waldmann, Helen Worthington, Emmanual Boss, Guilherme Castelão, Hassan Moustahfid, Megan Kot, Ross Timmerman
Hello All,

First, many thanks to those who have reviewed the draft QARTOD five-year plan. Your time and thoughts are greatly appreciated, and they have been recorded and will be addressed.

We'd still like to obtain a few more reviews so we've extended the deadline until March 11, 2022. Again, we’re especially interested in feedback on the new activities described on pages 15 – 17 as examples of the expanded project scope. We would be very grateful if you could take less than 15 minutes to give that section a quick scan and send your thoughts to me.
QARTOD Project Plan Update 2022-2026 v0.9.docx