JSON Time Series

Ramage, Dan

Apr 10, 2024, 9:04:23 AMApr 10
to 'Mathew Biddle - NOAA Federal' via ioos_tech

Greetings all. I’m working on a project for a local citizen science group that has collected water quality data at anumber of sites.  The data is in an Excel file which is easy enough to Python/Pandas to get the data. I’m wanting to then put it up on a webpage for them.

I was wondering if there is a widely used JSON schema for time series data.  I’ve written it out in a JSON Time Series schema(https://docs.eagle.io/en/latest/reference/historic/jts.html). However I really am not sure if that’s a widely used standard or not, or if it really even is a standard.

Just wanting to see what others might be doing.

Thanks,

Dan

Mathew Biddle - NOAA Federal

Apr 10, 2024, 9:20:04 AMApr 10
to ioos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I'm curious about the answer to this question as well. ERDDAP offers a couple different json download options https://erddap.ioos.us/erddap/tabledap/documentation.html#fileType, maybe one of those has been used for this use case?

Matt

Mathew Biddle, Physical Scientist
NOAA/NOS
US Integrated Ocean Observing System Office
1315 East-West Highway
Silver Spring MD 20910

Ramage, Dan

Apr 15, 2024, 3:12:12 PMApr 15
to ioos...@googlegroups.com

I’m experimenting with the Python package json-timeseries. It’s easy enough to use, however I’ve discovered that there is no JavaScript library that will handle this format. I guess that answers my question about whether or not the schema here: https://docs.eagle.io/en/latest/reference/historic/jts.html is a widely or even narrowly adopted format.

Dan

Formel, Stephen K

Apr 15, 2024, 5:52:26 PMApr 15
to ioos...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

I'm not sure how much your situation overlaps with that of the METS-RCN folks, but it sounds suspiciously similar. (I started working with them at OSM, so I'm still learning my way around the project).  A goal of METS-RCN is to standardize metadata schema for time-series data, and that's related to SPOTS.  See Nico Lange's repo: https://github.com/NicoGEOMAR/METS-RCN for example JSON.

I don't think there is a silver bullet in there, but Nico and others might be able to provide some guidance.  Would you like me to connect y'all?

Best,
Steve

Apr 16, 2024, 3:19:58 PMApr 16
to ioos...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

Thanks for the info, I’ll poke around those links and see if they are applicable for me.

Thanks,

Dan